FL63 was founded by Flagship Pioneering, an innovation enterprise that conceives, resources and grows first-in-category life science companies. The firm's institutional innovation foundry, Flagship Labs, is where teams of scientific entrepreneurs systematically evolve ideas and turn previously undiscovered areas of science into real-world ventures. Flagship has created over 100 scientific ventures resulting in >$19 billion in aggregate value, 500+ issued patents, and >50 clinical trials for novel therapeutic agents. Flagship's portfolio companies include Moderna, Rubius Therapeutics, and Indigo Agriculture.
FL63 is a highly dynamic, entrepreneurial and innovation-driven organization seeking to hire an exceptional scientist to join our growing team. A successful candidate will have a Ph.D. in synthetic organic chemistry or medicinal chemistry, an additional 5+ years of relevant experience, a proven track-record of scientific excellence (strong publication/patent record) and demonstrated success in platform building and team leadership. The candidate's career goals, laboratory skills, and core competencies should be aligned with the description below.
- Conceive and execute oligonucleotide chemistry strategy in collaboration with FL63 leadership team.
- Participate in recruiting and developing a world-class oligonucleotide chemistry team by hiring top talent and leveraging external partners.
- Provide leadership in internal chemistry efforts and in managing external chemistry partners; identify, develop and implement both existing ASO/RNAi chemistries and develop next-generation chemistry solutions for FL63's novel oligonucleotide therapeutics platform.
- Contribute to multiple projects as a project team leader and project team member.
- Continually cultivate scientific/technical expertise through critical review of the scientific literature, attending external conferences, and developing relationships with key opinion leaders.
- Work effectively with a cross-functional biology, technology, and chemistry team to contribute to the vision, strategy, and tactics of the organization.
- Willing to work hands-on in the dry lab for the first 1-3 years and to recruit/develop a team in 2-5 years.
- Deep understanding of modern methods in synthetic chemistry with an emphasis on nucleosides, nucleotides and oligonucleotide synthesis, purification and analytical characterization as applied to nucleic acid therapeutics.
- Working knowledge related to oligonucleotide conjugation chemistries.
- Inter-disciplinary skill set related to relevant drug discovery processes including in vitro/ in vivo pharmacology, ADME, PK/PD, toxicology and formulations.
- Solid strategic thinking and excellent communication skills for developing/articulating program strategy, risk mitigation plans and milestones to senior leadership.
- Independently manages workload and expectations.
- Working knowledge of RNA biology and oligonucleotide screening technologies to facilitate effective team collaboration.
- Leads efforts to identify emerging trends in the oligonucleotide therapeutics field and maintains awareness of competitive landscape. Develop and contributes to FL63 intellectual property estate.
- Excellent people manager to both direct and indirect reports at all levels. Models exemplary values & behaviors.
- Fast-acting/efficient. Moves quickly and proactively with a strong work ethic to produce high-quality results while fostering a positive work environment. Focuses on key priorities. Demonstrates tenacity and willingness to go the distance to get something done.
- Integrity. Does not cut corners ethically. Earns trust and maintains confidences. Does what is right not just what is politically expedient. Speaks plainly and truthfully. Follows-through on commitments. Expects a high level of personal performance and team performance.
- Critical thinking. Learns quickly. Demonstrates ability to proficiently understand new information and independently achieve meaningful outcomes. Able to structure and process qualitative/quantitative data and draw insightful conclusions.
- Creativity & Innovation. Generates new and creative approaches to problem solving. Positive 'can-do' attitude. Views the toughest challenges as the greatest opportunities for personal growth and company innovation.
- Teamwork. Fully engaged in facilitating personal and team success. Reaches out to peers and cooperates with the team to establish an overall collaborative work environment. Often solicits and responds well to constructive feedback. Possesses good written and oral communication skills with the ability to clearly and concisely convey ideas and opinions.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Adjusts quickly to changing strategic and tactical priorities. Comfortable with ambiguity.