The Assay R&D organization is looking for a Sr. Scientist to identify new infectious disease markers using legacy and current techniques in protein chemistry, molecular biology, proteomics and bioinformatics. You will work in an interactive, fast-paced, multi-disciplinary group and have the opportunity to develop skills and relationships across various organizations within IDEXX.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Designs expression constructs for use in bacterial and eukaryotic expression systems.
- Follows the development process for candidate target molecules from research through to proof-of-concept.
- Assists with specification setting, verification and validation, data analysis, experimental design, structured problem solving and other activities.
- Performs project management activities to create working prototypes of products, coordinating with a wide variety of internal and external partners – encouraging teamwork and group achievement. Willing to learn IDEXX processes while working with tech leads, core team leads and other project managers.
- Partners closely with other R&D areas, marketing, medical affairs, operations, quality, regulatory, legal, business development and others.
- Stays current with scientific and technological developments, with freedom to explore areas unrelated to immediate product development. Maintains knowledge of intellectual property (IP) and monitors IP landscape through literature searches and other methods. Solicits collaborations with outside researchers/organizations/universities.
- Develops network of technical and business stakeholders, including professors, industry leaders and others; presents at scientific meetings. Assists in preparation of peer-reviewed manuscripts and patent applications.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Familiarity with the following is necessary:? expression of recombinant proteins; protein purification, characterization, modification and conjugation to other molecules.?
- The ability to prototype newly discovered markers for verification / validation with characterized sample populations is required.
- Work context involves novel and variable situations requiring analytical and creative thinking. Demonstrates complex problem-solving skills and applies broad range of tools to critically evaluate, interpret and summarize data with ability to propose next steps.
- Solves complex problems or problems that do not have routine solutions; takes a new perspective using existing solutions.
- Excellent verbal, technical writing and interpersonal communication skills. Ability to maintain accurate and clear documentation. Good presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and with others, including teamwork across business units.
- Due of the nature of the diseases, a foundation in microbiology, bacteriology, and/or parasitology is a plus.
- Candidates with prior research experience in vector-borne/Rickettsial diseases will be given preference.
- Publications in peer-reviewed journals a plus.