This senior-level position leads the response to complex technical opportunities & challenges across the Americas region. Technology scope is broad, spanning activated carbon products, processes, and applications. Focus areas include continuous improvement, product modifications, new application testing and problem solving/root cause analysis. This is a player/coach role with a strong individual contributor component along with leading a small team and influencing the organization. Position will interface heavily with external (customer, toller, supplier) and internal (plant, technical, applications support) teams. This role will lead the technical work in the Pryor, OK technical lab but can work remotely in surrounds areas of Texas/Oklahoma. Eventually, travel is expected to be about 30%.
- Engages across organization to identify and prioritize technical projects based on business and customer needs. Stays current on technology changes and market trends.
- Defines, plans and manages technical projects to achieve clear and specific results.
- Leads technology activities in the Pryor technology lab, coordinating with site quality manager to prioritize execution. Directs work of the regional process development engineer to accomplish business objectives.
- Organizes and proposes plans for testing new product / process / application developments. Conducts tests, draws conclusions advances hypotheses and makes recommendations.
- Leads improvement and root cause activities, applying sound statistical methods and structured problem-solving techniques.
- Provides technical support to supplier management team, engaging in periodic quality/technology reviews and monitoring supplier’s improvement activities.
- Interfaces with plant personnel, tollers or suppliers in planning & execution of trials, including Management of Change and other process safety elements.
- Prepares appropriate reports and presentations documenting work, results, and conclusions, and presents work to customers, management, technical groups and/or business partners.
- Adheres to all intellectual property standards. Stays current with relevant patent literature. Identifies opportunities to capture new IP.
- Strictly follows and complies with all SH&E procedures, standards and regulations and constantly strives for Excellence in the fields of sustainability and Safety, Health and preservation of the Environment.
- Supports efforts to implement and maintain the Responsible Care® Management System in line with the requirements of the RC14001® technical specification, as applicable to the site/region.
- Expanded practical and theoretical knowledge of chemical process / product / application technology.
- Demonstrated ability in design of experiments and statistical methods and tools including structured problem solving.
- Demonstrated ability to interact with and influence internal and external parties. Perceived by all parties as technically credible.
- Ability to plan and manage medium scope projects.
- Advanced degree in Chemistry, Chemical engineering or Materials Science
- Experience in activated carbon product / process / applications technology.
- Experience in multiple technical roles (product development, process development, manufacturing, applications support, …)
- PhD and 4+ years relevant experience
- MS and 6+ years relevant experience
About the Company
Cabot Corporation is a leading global specialty chemicals and performance materials company headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts, USA.