RMS is the pioneer in the development and application of complex statistical and numerical modeling methods for the quantification of risks due to natural and man-made catastrophes. Our risk models are the most detailed and comprehensive models of catastrophes produced anywhere in the world. Our clients include several hundred insurance and reinsurance companies as well as brokers, banks, hedge funds, regional and local governments, and multilateral agencies. Our models are delivered to our clients through sophisticated software utilizing a range of cutting-edge technologies.
Responsibilities will include understanding the mathematical modeling ideas developed at RMS and express them clearly and efficiently within our software framework which is being built for the next generation RMS’ software platform. A successful candidate will work closely with our core model developers across all our hazard, exposure, and vulnerability teams, in a dynamic and business driven environment.
Qualifications and Skills:
- MS in Mathematics, Computer Science or Engineering from a top university, PhD preferred.
- Excellent programming skills in Java.
- Good knowledge of probability and statistics.
- Good knowledge of mathematical modeling.
- Substantial experience in developing scientific applications with such tools, especially for use in a Cloud environment.
- Excellent communication and prioritization skills.
- Possess an analytical mindset and strong programming skills in a Linux/Unix environment.
- Experience working on large data sets in such an environment.
- Experience working with relational databases such as SQL Server, MySQL, as well as using NoSQL databases such as MongoDB, Cassandra, HBase.
- Understanding of Software Development Life Cycle processes, as well as Agile development methodology
There’s a 5% chance that a hurricane will cause $60 billion of insured losses next year and a 1% chance an earthquake will cause $50 billion of insured loss in the next 12months. At RMS, we build the simulation models that allow insurers and investors to understand portfoliorisks due to catastrophes: natural catastrophes (hurricane, earthquake, flood), terrorism, pandemic, and changes in life expectancy.
We are one of the most exciting companies you’ve probably ‘never’ heard of, unless you’re one of our hundreds of clients in the (re)insurance, banking or hedge fund sector. We lead an industry we helped pioneer and ultimately our work makes a true impact on the world at large. How we understand and manage risk affects everybody and our passion is nothing less than creating a more resilient world through a better understanding of catastrophic events.
We are evolving our vision by delivering future solutions in the cloud, our cutting edge risk management platform ‘RMS(one)’ for the global risk market. RMS(one) will create a holistic and integrated view across the enterprise with one platform for all models, all points of view, and all data. All will be run as equal partners on RMS(one).