The Oregon plant of W. R. Grace & Co. manufactures fine chemicals for a broad range of pharma, biotech and nutraceutical customers. Our dynamic research and development team is seeking a Senior R&D Chemist, experienced in chemical process development. The successful candidate will be responsible for developing novel synthetic routes and chemical manufacturing processes to produce a variety of complex pharmaceutical intermediates.
- Design and perform synthetic organic chemistry experiments efficiently and independently; monitor chemical reactions and product quality using chromatographic and spectroscopic techniques.
- Define parameters for robust and efficient chemical processes to achieve fundamental understanding of process performance and capabilities.
- Generate high quality experimental data, detailed protocols of chemical processes, and technical documents to support transfer of the processes to production.
- Collaborate with analytical chemists to develop optimal methods for quality determination of process products.
- Develop novel and creative solutions to overcome process and manufacturing difficulties.
- Present scientific findings to project/program cross-functional teams in a concise and impactful manner.
- Enthusiasm, integrity, self motivation, and ability to interact within a multi-disciplinary team.
- Leadership experience desirable.
- Ph.D. degree in organic chemistry with minimum 5 years of fine chemicals industry experience in a process chemistry research group.
- Pharmaceutical industry experience preferred.
- Demonstrated track record of scientific achievement: publications, patents, key role in successfully completed commercialized projects.
- In-depth knowledge of organic chemistry, synthetic methodology, and reaction mechanisms.
- Extensive experience in multi-step organic synthesis including reaction design, execution, and development of workup, isolation, and crystallization procedures.
- Experience collecting key experimental and analytical data to support research and development decisions. Familiarity with modern analytical methods and techniques.
- Experience applying spectroscopic methods (NMR, LC-MS, IR, etc) for structure determination and utilizing various analytical techniques (HPLC, NMR, GC, etc.) for quantitative data collection.
- Proficient with software programs such as MS Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), SciFinder, Reaxys, Nerac, Chemdraw.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Ability to prepare comprehensive reports for internal use and for customers.