Conceives, plans, and conducts research in problem areas of engineering of considerable scope and complexity. May also perform as a technical staff specialist for the organization in the application of advanced theories, concepts, principles, and processes for an assigned area of responsibility.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS PERFORMED
- Conducts complete and conceptually related studies to approach technical problems, whereas the problems are difficult to define, require unconventional or novel approaches, and require sophisticated research techniques.
- Performs technical work where available guides and precedents contain critical gaps, are only partially related to the problem, or may be largely lacking due to the novel character of the project.
- Generally contributes inventions, new designs, or techniques which are of material significance in the solution of specific problems.
- As a staff technical specialist, keeps abreast of new scientific methods and developments affecting the organization for the purpose of recommending changes in emphasis of programs or new design programs warranted by such developments.
- Plans, organizes, and supervises the work of engineers or technicians and may be assisted on various engineering projects.
- May provide input and direction to management on various issues.
- Works on special projects, writes ECN's, and creates prototypes.
- Performs other related duties and tasks as required.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL/ENVIRONMENTAL DEMANDS
- Lifting -- Not to exceed 50 lbs. -- local practice may apply.
- Visual acuity
- Color perception
- Depth perception
- Field of vision/peripheral
- Fine motor skills
- Chemical vapors
SUMMARY OF MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Educational and/or experience equivalent to a Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or technical field related to the department of assignment or industry with ten years previous related experience, a Master's Degree with eight years previous related experience, or a Ph.D with five years previous related experience.
- Ability to independently apply analytical skills, complex scientific technical principles, and detailed knowledge in solving engineering problems and developing new products, techniques, or designs.
- Demonstrated computer skills preferably spreadsheets, word processing, database and other applicable software programs.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills and the ability to work effectively as a team member.
- Working knowledge of United States and international standards as applicable to the department.
- Scientific research
- Scientific problem solving
- Inventions/new designs/techniques
- Work/project supervision
- Special projects/ECN's/ prototype creation