Conduct research, development, and performance testing activities for the Performance Fuel Additives SBU. Performs assigned projects under the supervision of a senior R&D team member, however, may conduct independent studies, manage projects, and work on large/complex projects as project lead. Interfaces with suppliers, customers, manufacturing, process, legal, business, and marketing to execute projects according to defined project goals and timelines.
Performs formulation, synthesis, and/or testing activities to meet established project objectives. Effective use of the Afton Product Development Process.
Evaluation, organization, and interpretation of data. Provides technical recommendations to senior R&D leadership regarding results, chemistry/component viability and necessary characterizations. Completes special projects as assigned.
Participates in technical and/or project reviews and presents findings as appropriate. Engages with assigned teams and cross-functional stakeholders, such as business, process, marketing, etc…
Maintain accurate, up-to-date lab notebooks in accordance with established procedures. Ensure objectivity and accuracy in reporting and recording data. May direct/supervise the activities of or other team members as appropriate.
Understand, comply, and promote safe laboratory and work practices, including appropriate safety regulations and procedures.
Assure that complete documentation is maintained on ISO or Quality System related activities. Participate in Quality System related activities and maintain an up-to-date understanding of the Quality System functions & responsibilities.
Represent Afton in technical conferences, societies and other industry activities. Maintain adequate level of technical expertise and self-development through study, seminars, etc. Stay informed of advanced developments inside and outside of Afton.
Comfortable interfacing with chemical suppliers and customers. Strong communication and interpersonal skills required.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE MINIMUMS:
· Ph.D. in Chemistry (synthetic organic and physical organic preferred)
· Thorough knowledge and understanding of applicable chemistry and/or engineering principles and application in a research and development environment typically acquired after at least 5 years of relevant experience
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE PREFERRED:
· Ph.D. in Chemistry
· Experience directly related to applicable product or product category
· Decision Making - Decision making in a timely manner based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment; sometimes with incomplete information, under tight deadlines and pressure; while based upon appropriate risk and authority
· Business Insight - The understanding of the basis for our business model and how that is realized in the market. The understanding of how business and operations are intimately linked. The ability to use information, practices & trends, affecting the business to engage and drive new strategies and tactics work in the marketplace.
· Analysis and Problem Solving - Solves difficult problems with effective solutions; asks good questions and questions all likely sources for answers; can solve complex problems and recognize complex patterns; utilizing all appropriate tools to reach a robust answer.
· Communication - The ability to communicate information clearly and effectively in an engaging and convincing manner.
· Managing Performance - Possessing the drive and focus to achieve challenging goals.
· Collaboration and Networking - The ability to work in and across Afton's organizational matrix to achieve business objectives, via engaging interactions and influencing without authority.
· Project Management - The ability to manage tasks and activities and achieve their completion within the agreed framework, across regional and organizational boundaries
· Innovation - The openness to new ideas and the ability to generate breakthrough solutions. Can develop, seek out, critically assess and implement new and value adding concepts.
· Dealing with Uncertainty - Can effectively cope with change; can shift gears comfortably; can decide and act without having the total picture; isn’t upset when things are up in the air; doesn’t have to finish things before moving on; can comfortably handle risk and uncertainty.
· Demonstrates acceptable statistical applications to assigned area
· Consistent demonstration of safe lab practices and procedures