Corning is one of the world's leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people's lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
As a leading developer, manufacturer, and global supplier of scientific laboratory products for 100 years, Corning's Life Sciences segment collaborates with researchers seeking new approaches to increase efficiencies, reduce costs and compress timelines in the drug discovery process. Using unique expertise in the fields of materials science, surface science, optics, biochemistry and biology, the segment provides innovative solutions that improve productivity and enable breakthrough discoveries.
Scope of Position:
In this role, you will develop, modify, apply and maintain quality evaluation systems and procedures for processing materials into finished product. We look for you to collaborate with engineering and manufacturing functions to ensure quality standards are in place. You will devise and implement methods and procedures for producing, inspecting, testing, and evaluating the precision and accuracy of products and production equipment. Areas of needed specialization include: validation, root cause analysis, statistical risk management, production control or product evaluation and reliability as they apply to product or process quality. May be certified in lean and six-sigma quality engineering methodologies. You will be responsible for PEx project portfolio assuring the effective use of different improvement methodologies (DMAIC, Lean, DESGN, etc.) toward the achievement of plant strategic goals. We look for you to exercise judgment within defined procedures and practices to settle appropriate action.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Lead and participate in project teams to quickly and effectively implement improvement initiatives or manufacturing process improvements.
- Provide manufacturing support activities to include validation projects, equipment validation projects, and/or involvement in improvement projects.
- Participate in continuous improvement and Performance Excellence activities to include leading, participating, or coaching project teams, facilitating events, or providing training.
- Provide technical support and guidance to other Kennebunk staff and/or project team members in Quality Systems improvement efforts.
- Apply quality engineering practices and guidance to support project teams and manufacturing operations using Six Sigma tools, FMEA, CE Diagram, CE Matrix, DOE, MSA, Validation Protocol development, review, approval and Control Plans.
- Develop innovative quality strategies and solutions for all phases of the manufacturing process.
- Develop/Revise Quality Plans including: incoming, in-process and final inspection, and provide training to those affected by the plans.
- Perform technical reviews and interprets data for accuracy of equipment/process performance.
- Handles the change management program to assure there is a proper technical review of requested changes and that there is a risk assessment of requested changes.
- Leads CAPAs assigned to the QE department to closure and assures corrective actions are effective.
- Participates in MRB, reviews and/or completes nonconformance reports, MIA, and CAPA documents to assure root cause analysis is reached and corrections are appropriate to prevent further nonconformances.
- Reviews QS metrics and makes recommendations for corrective actions.
- Serve as a resource for performing internal audits to ensure quality system compliance.
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
- Standard business hours, Monday - Friday
- B.S. or equivalent engineering or technical degree
Required Years and Area of Experience:
- Minimum 5+ years progressively responsible roles in technology, engineering, manufacturing, and/or quality.
- Experience achieving significant improvements through others.
- Project management of significant scope in complexity, investment, and impact.
- Deep knowledge in Lean methodologies (Value Stream Mapping, Process Mapping, Kaizen Events, and Error-proofing)
- Deep knowledge of PQA methodologies
- Deep knowledge in New Product Introductions
- Problem Solving experience
- Experience in leading projects involving multiple groups (e.g. Technology, Manufacturing, Division Engineering, PLM, Customer Experience, Freight Forwarder, etc.)
- Experience in identifying systemic issues from multiple months/years of data
- Experience in training others on problem solving methods
- Knowledge of ERP/QMS platforms (e.g. SAP, ETQ, SharePoint, Windchill)
Desired Experience / Qualifications / Skills:
- DMAIC Six Sigma certification
- Transactional (e.g. DESGN)
- Cross-cultural sensitivity and global business mind-set
- Collaborative approach, strong initiative, positive
- Influencing and leadership skills, dynamic
- Building and facilitating effective teams
- Conflict management; Flexibility
- Comfort around upper management and leadership stream
- Strategy execution and priority setting
- Fundamentals of Business Insight
- Data-based decisions, Drive for Results, Dedicated, Functional/technical
- Financial analysis & management, disciplined approach
- Technology/Project Deployment and Transfer
- Strong leadership, planning and organizational skills
- Lead/manage multiple projects/work streams concurrently
- Build roadmap to drive improvement and reduce cost
- Proven ability to interface and influence individuals ranging from hourly workers to the general manager
- History of strong working relationships with a diverse range of departments and organizations.
- Excellent verbal, written, presentation and interpersonal skills; Bring new ideas
- Decisive and self-motivated to an extent where the individual can be productive in both manufacturing and non-manufacturing environments.