The Quality Manager reports to the Director of Performance Excellence and is primarily responsible to mature the business’s quality management system and develop quality assurance and control plans supporting existing and new business. This position supports the Critical Infrastructure Business Line (CIBL) of Battelle, missioned to deliver differentiated technical services and innovative technology-based solutions serving the homeland security, transportation, and energy markets. Within those markets, the business provides technology innovation, research, product engineering, low-rate production and field support to government, commercial, and international customers. This is an exciting and rewarding opportunity to join a growing business unit where you will get to work on industry-leading research and development projects, having an impact upon society and environment.
- Maintains awareness of CIBL business strategy, workforce and operations management, technology investment, and regulatory environment in applying Quality guidance to business leadership.
- Partners with CIBL leadership in the identification and assessment of business risks in the sustainment of responsive quality systems, quality objectives, and management controls.
- Develops, monitors, and reports key quality performance measures and metrics for business leadership in achieving successful execution of technology investments and client-funded projects.
- Partners with operations and project managers in developing standard operating procedures, workflow process maps, and management controls, through collaboration within cross-functional teams.
- Leads development and execution of Quality Assurance Project Plans and Quality Control Plans in support of major client-funded projects.
- Supports and consults with project teams throughout product hardware and software development lifecycle.
- Participates in project and technical reviews with management to ensure execution performance, regulatory compliance, and quality delivery.
- Qualifies vendors/suppliers and monitors their delivery performance on project.
- Monitors customer satisfaction through solicitation of customer survey and government contractor performance assessments.
- Leads or participates in continuous improvement efforts to reduce the cost of execution, cost of compliance, and cost of quality for the business.
- Leads or facilitates root cause analysis and reporting, helps define corrective actions to address non-conformances, and tracks corrective actions through closure and validates effectiveness.
- Conducts internal audits of operations and projects to assure ongoing QMS conformance (ISO 9001:2015). Hosts registrar audits, annually, in sustaining ISO certification.
THE FOLLOWING IS REQUIRED
- Bachelor's Degree in Science, with emphasis in engineering, computer science or physics (or 15 years equivalent work experience).
- Minimum of 15 years’ cumulative experience in engineering and/or quality assurance within disciplines of applied research, product design and development, and/or systems verification testing.
- Demonstrated understanding opportunity and risk in applying quality management systems, assurance (QA) and control (QC) in areas of technology discovery, applied research, and product development.
- Significant understanding in certification, compliance, and application of ISO 9001:2015 quality standard.
- Proficient practice in use of industry-common risk assessment and quality assurance tools, specific to software / hardware development.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project) and eQMS software platforms.
- Ability to interact effectively with all levels of management, peers, project staff, clients, suppliers, and external auditors in topics of quality management.
- Must be a US Citizen with the ability to obtain and maintain a USG security clearance.
- Self-initiative and ability to work independently with minimal guidance or direction.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.