The role reports into the VP & GM, Legal Markets and is an integral member of the LMG management
team, ensuring that initiatives, projects, new product development, and partnership efforts are prioritized and well executed to ensure LMG and LRUS achieves financial goals and long-term transformation to Expert Solutions.
- Requires a combination of software product and project management skills to support the business’s product development and business goals.
- Is focused on managing and achieving goals and initiatives for LMG within the plan year and for the long term.
- Supports innovation and helps manage the necessary change resulting from innovation
- Is integral to the annual planning process and reporting during the year.
- Supports a technology-oriented product management approach that is “Lean” and agile that also institutes best practices such as the Pragmatic Institute® approach – to help LMG support transformation of the overall business.
- Ensures projects stay on track by providing leadership, identifying risks and issues, and developing solutions to mitigate risks by collaborating with stakeholders across functional areas.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Product Management, Product Development and Process Management:
- Product Management: Manages selected product(s), as assigned, through the product lifecycle including business justifications, product roadmaps, and commercial plans.
- Product Development: Works across the LMG organization to identify product development interdependencies and align plans across functions. Works with product platform teams, vertical practice product managers, editorial, and engineering teams to establish plans and guide the execution of those plans. Ensures projects are staffed appropriately, and that risks and opportunities are communicated with transparency. Facilitates post-mortems to identify improvement opportunities.
- Process Management: Builds a strong understanding of the overall product development processes to ensure execution across cross-functional teams to deliver results for the business. Uses analytical skills and drive to process improvement. Thinks strategically and can relate strategy to tactics. Manages the overall product development program including new project approval, stage gating, and execution. Works within a lean and agile framework that includes concepts from the Pragmatic Institute® for software product development.
- Program Planning and Execution, Continuous Improvement, and Change Management:
- Program Execution: Monitors health of program delivery and provides rigor to project planning and execution. Takes accountability for facilitating the product management process and helping product managers deliver actionable plans. The role leverages business acumen, emotional intelligence, and strong interpersonal skills to proactively anticipate and mitigate risks. The role will oversee program-level status, risks, issues, and dependencies with detail, but will also effectively manage the softer and intangible dynamics related to achieving results. Monitors multiple product projects for progress, anticipating and reducing risk, and escalating potential problems in a timely manner. Coordinates product planning – conducting regular reviews on progress. Communicates status with transparency in a timely, effective, and efficient manner.
- Digital Transformation and Continuous Improvement: Regularly review projects and initiatives with an eye towards improvement and innovation. Identifies legacy approaches that are inconsistent with native digital and software approaches. Generally works to “Make it Better” and improves the overall business by identifying opportunities for improvement and solutions to support change. Facilitates executive-level escalations and program-level change management.
- Change Management: Works with the broader organization to ensure goals, systems, training, and processes change to support the desired results from new product efforts. This includes LRUS sales, marketing and editorial teams, and the global engineering and business services teams. This position requires someone who can understand the necessary changes required across the business and proactively solicit and drive changes that will align the people and processes to support new product efforts.
- Business Reporting, Metrics and KPIs
- Business Reporting: Summarize product status and priorities, ensures stage gates are understood, and supports business justifications including business cases when required. Reports on overall product roadmap, capital planning, resources requirements, and costs.
- Product Reporting: Develop program/project justification documentation and support the business through logical and impartial prioritization of the product pipeline. Consolidates and rolls-up product dashboards, roadmaps, and technology release schedules into a consolidated view. Works with leadership on preparing product and strategy presentations.
- Metrics: Work with LMG leadership and Product Managers to develop meaningful metrics and product reporting. Ensures measurable KPIs are defined and aligned to the LMG strategy, objectives, and goals
- Lead special projects, support VP & GM of Legal Markets to ensure follow through on actions by the LMG team, and perform other duties as required
Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree – MBA (Preferred) or JD
- 5+ years of business experience preferably within legal industry, software, or relevant industry.
- 2+ years as a software project management or product manager with strong program management experience in a matrixed environment
Knowledge of the software development lifecycle, agile development methodologies, and product commercialization
- Experience building product metrics and associated measurement techniques to develop meaningful key performance indicators (KPIs)
- Experience with transformational projects is strongly desired
Other Knowledge, Skills, Abilities or Certifications:
- Proactive and decisive team player who can build consensus in a collaborative environment, but also knows when to escalate or push a team in the right direction
- Strategic thinker with business acumen and strong analytical skills.
- Capable of seeing patterns and relating to the big picture.
- Strong negotiator with a high degree of emotional intelligence.
- Exceptional people skills with demonstrated ability to lead cross-functional projects through influence and communication towards coordinated task completion.
- Detail oriented, capable, or relating activity to strategy and goals. Ability to quickly respond to shifting project needs or issues with a problem-solving mindset
- Strong program management skills and experience with cross-functional software or information projects.
- Fluent in agile software processes and possesses strong business acumen.
- Financially minded and has an attention to detail.
- Strong ability to analyze data, quickly understand trends, and determine what’s important
- Strong presentation, written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent time-management skills to manage many projects at one time
- Understanding of Product Development Methodologies, Lean Product Developed or Pragmatic Marketing® is desirable