Borrego is seeking a Sr. Project Engineering Manager to join our growing team! The primary purpose of this position is to manage and oversee full-service PV system designs while also providing internal engineering support to Borrego’s Southern California Operations and Construction team. The position will require an extensive knowledge of PV system design with a focus on identifying, communicating, and mitigating technical risks that may impact a project’s overall feasibility, cost, or constructability. The Project Engineering Manager will be expected to deliver concise direction and full oversight to 3rd-party Engineering partners and Professional Engineers while also working directly with Borrego’s Southern California Sales and Operations teams in order to support baseline engineering assessment and technical support during construction.
In addition to engineering support, the position will require local construction support for projects with completed designs. Support may include interface with AHJs and Building Departments to support permit approvals, communication with clients on technical issues or concerns, interconnection coordination and planning with local utility, construction administration, field investigation, and QA/QC of projects in construction.
POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES WILL INCLUDE BUT NOT BE LIMITED TO:
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Primary liaison between the Engineering team (internal and external) and CA Construction and Sales Teams
- Manage schedule and work product deliverables from 3rd party design partners.
- Coordinate all pre-design site discovery and effectively communicate site specific issues to design teams.
- Act as a senior team member in communication with clients and project stakeholders.
- Assess and mitigate project risks in advance of detailed engineering efforts.
- Provide overall plan set Review for all work product received from 3rd party design partners.
- Develop and maintain outside engineering relationships with external companies used for engineering services
- within CA (e.g. Site Discovery, 3rd Party QA/QC, consulting, etc.).
- Attend pre-construction meetings with PM and Construction subcontractors.
- Support PM Team through permitting and construction administration for all projects.
- Manage construction quality through Borrego’s internal Construction Control Process
- Work with the local and corporate level team to refine and improve internal processes and raise Borrego’s
- status to that of a world-class PV design and construction company.
- Support and lead improvements in coordination with the Regional Engineering Manager
- o Manage value engineering and project velocity improvements.
- o Lead initiatives to meet department and company goals.
- Act as lead PEM on complex projects with multiple PEMs assigned
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering, preferably with a focus in Electrical Power Engineering, although Structural/Civil/Mechanical Engineering degrees may also be considered
- Ability and desire to become a licensed PE in CA
- 5+ years of related experience designing and providing construction oversight for PV projects
- Working knowledge of California Building Standards Code (Title 24, CA Code of Regulations)
- Demonstrated experience working with Building Departments and AHJs to obtain plan set approval
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, MS Office Suite, and MS Project (or similar CPM scheduling software)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with Salesforce is preferred