The Sr. Project Engineer will act as on-site engineer reporting to the Regional Manager or a designated Project Manager and is responsible for administering the technical aspects of assigned projects. Works closely with, subcontractors, vendors, utility companies and local, state and federal agencies to ensure work is being completed on-schedule and on-budget. May supervise other employees.
• Manages subcontractors, tracks subcontractor progress and approves payment for services rendered in a timely and orderly manner.
• Corresponds with client to resolve payment on outstanding change orders. The determination of when to pursue payment is made with the Project Manager or other supervisor and is based on relationship, scale, and necessity.
• Writes formal letters as necessary to protect the company's interests and facilitate timely construction of the project.
• Prepares monthly progress billings and subcontractor payments with the intent of expediting payment from Owner.
• Participates in subcontract negotiations and subcontract preparation. Works directly with subcontractors and monitors subcontractor pay estimates/submittals. Coordinates subcontractor meetings, as required.
• Estimates, prepares and submits Change Order requests to Owner and negotiates Change Orders with Owner, including all costs associated with change including, direct labor costs; equipment costs; material costs; subcontract costs; and project overhead costs. Maintains current Change Order Log and follows up with Owner on approvals.
• Authorized to accept subcontractor work.
• Responsible for conforming the estimate to create the project budget.
• Expertly performs the duties of Project Engineer I and Project Engineer II
• Understands and upholds the terms and conditions of union master agreements for all trades.
• Assumes a leadership role with managing subcontractors and suppliers assuring contractual obligations are met by all parties.
• Responsible for successful and safe execution of the work.
• Finalizes shoring, framework and traffic control plans. Secures necessary approvals and communicates completed designs to Project Manager.
• Oversees the implementation of adequate safety plans, safety meetings, method statements and safe working practices, as required by the Company and state and federal agencies.
Creates and maintains project CPM schedule and other near term schedules.
• Prepares subcontract change orders for the approval of the Project Manager or other Supervisor.
• Establishes and maintains strong working relationships with owners, agencies, subcontractors, inspectors, etc. providing customer service when necessary.
• Proactively interacts with the Estimating staff, insuring consistent communication regarding pre-bid assistance, job status updates, changes to scope of work, owner/customer interactions, etc.
• Prepares periodic percent complete summaries.
• Reviews vendor/supplier quotations with Project Estimator. Orders contract materials in a timely manner, coordinates material delivery schedules.
Required Skills / Technical Knowledge:
Bachelor's Degree in Construction Management or Civil Engineering
8-13 years of experience in Civil Construction Engineering
Must have computer experience using HCSS Heavy Job, Microsoft Word, Excel and Project. Vista Software is a plus.
Valid Driver's License with clean driver's abstract
Obtains and maintains CPR, AED and First Aid certification, OSHA 30, MUTCD Supervisor
• Must have excellent communication skills to effectively work with customers, employees, management, vendors, utility companies and local state and federal agencies.
• Must have excellent negotiation skills.
• Must be proficient with surveying practices and use of equipment.
• Must be able to comprehend and follow occupational safety and health regulations, other state and federal regulations governing the construction industry, and Company practices and procedures.
• Must be able to accurately read blue prints, plans, specifications, contracts, bids, proposals and other construction documentation.
• Must understand the bidding process.
• Must understand drafting.
• Must be able to comprehend complex math concepts including geometry, algebra and trigonometry to measure calculate and forecast.
• Understand different signals used at construction sites.