Scope of Position:
- Focus will be the development of robust process machine systems that provide significant competitive advantage to Corning’s businesses, and / or enable new products and product lines (prototype and production capable machines). This position will support some or all of Corning Incorporated’s divisions.
- The individual will have the opportunity to be a member of cross-functional project sub-teams, on both early and late innovation stage projects, through concept generation / certification, technology development, detail design / build, and the installation into manufacturing.
- Be responsible for the functional and operational integrity of design, estimating costs, defining project scope, budget and schedule
- Be responsible for identification of project resources necessary to complete the project tasks and coordinate the project teams efforts towards successfully
- Understand how to integrate commercially available technologies and processes to enable Corning, Inc. to develop into robust next generation process equipment solutions.
- Able to effectively leverage external machine builders and system integrators for detail design, build, and integration of later stages of machine system implementation.
- Procure, implement and document systems and assist in training operational personnel. Maintain records and track expenditures against allocated funds. Estimate time required to accomplishing tasks and monitoring performance against schedules.
- Individual will be responsible to lead cross-functional project sub-teams from concept generation / certification, technology development, detail design / build, and start-up in manufacturing.
- Interface with internal R&D and manufacturing customers and internal trades personnel to get the systems set-up and functional.
- Report on project activities on a pre-determined basis. Ensure results meet the customer’s requirements and standards.
- Work with other project team members on solving difficult mechanical engineering related problems, understanding project related issues, and general process engineering and process understanding.
- Utilize internal lab facilities and equipment to develop proof of concept prototypes.
- High level of fundamental understanding of the process and materials to enable the development of cost effective products and machine systems.
- Individual must be capable of executing project assignments with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work in a team based environment and participate on a highly matrixed project team
- Interface and work with the Research, Development and Manufacturing teams that are involved in the innovation and manufacture of new products and machine systems for any of Corning’s Divisions including Science and Technology (R&D).
- Individual must investigate prior art and document any Intellectual Property developed as part of their project activities.
- Individual must document project results through internal reporting means.
- Individual must present the project(s) they are involved with for review by peers, customers and managers.
Education and Experience:
- BS/MS/PhD Mechanical, Electrical, Chemical Engineering or other technical discipline (B.S. minimum) with 12 + years of engineering and leadership experience with demonstrated success leading project teams.
- Experience in successful development and delivery of new products or fully integrated process machine systems into manufacturing.
- Proven Project Leadership experience.
- Understand how to integrate commercially available technologies and processes into robust process manufacturing solutions.
- Strong technical leadership skills that will enable unique solutions to the technical challenges.
- Experience with projects requiring development of fundamental process understanding and requirements.
- Demonstrated project leadership experience with ability to achieve results through a highly matrixed project team.
- Ability to effectively manage highly ambiguous situations and effectively demonstrate leadership in assigned early stage projects.
- Ability to interface with senior management and provide clear concise program strategies, resources needs, and program updates.
- Ability to effectively leverage external machine and process companies in the precision patterning market.
- Develop sound fundamental manufacturing processes
- Knowledge of Corning’s manufacturing processes, especially in glass and ceramics.
- Demonstrated experience with Corning Innovation process.
- Microsoft Project
- Equipment Design
- Estimated travel at 10% - 30% depending upon specific project assignment.
- Travel may be required during installation, debug, and start-up as well as for routine interaction with internal and external Customers and Suppliers.
This position does not support immigration sponsorship.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
We prohibit discrimination based on race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or veteran status or any other legally protected status.