Position is responsible for development, implementation, testing and support of enterprise-wide academic technology system (learning management systems, collaboration/web conferencing, evaluation/survey, and the mobile application).
This position will routinely interact with clients as part of project and ongoing support work – typical clients supported are instructional designers, technologists, trainers, faculty support centers, faculty, and to a lesser extent students. The Academic Technology team, a small team, works across a decentralized environment to provide centralized services. The position should have experience in all phases of SDLC as their tasks will require they work across all phases to be successful. Depending on the task and project involved the position may be expected to lead, work as part of a team, or work individually to complete the work as necessary. The position should be comfortable carrying out tasks with limited guidance
Position will support online enterprise-wide learning management systems, evaluation/survey systems, collaboration systems, and a mobile platform. These systems are used by most of our academic divisions to deliver online courses and supplement face to face courses. Staff, faculty and students rely on these systems, which add to the complexity of supporting an enterprise system for our decentralized clients.
The responsibilities listed below are typical examples of the work performed by this position. Not all duties assigned to this position are included, nor is it expected that everyone in this position will be assigned every job responsibility.
ANALYSIS AND REQUIREMENTS GATHERING
- Define moderately complex business/clinical/education problems by meeting with clients to observe and understand current processes and the issues related to those processes. Provide written documentation of findings to share with the client and other IT colleagues.
- Gather moderately complex system requirements by meeting with clients and researching existing technology to understand the business requirements and possible solutions for new applications.
DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT
- Develop detailed tasks and project plans by analyzing project scope and milestones for moderately complex projects in order to ensure product is delivered in a timely fashion according to software lifecycle standards.
- Write functional/technical specifications by taking the provided moderately complex system requirements and putting them into functional and technical descriptions for use by programmers and business analysts to develop technical solutions.
- Develop/change data input, files/database structures, data transformation, algorithms, and data output by using appropriate computer language/tools to provide technical solutions for moderately complex application development tasks.
- Document code and associated processes by adhering to development methodologies, adding code comments and appropriate documentation to various knowledge-base system(s) to simplify code maintenance and to improve support.
TESTING AND DOCUMENTATION
- Create and document moderately complex test scenarios using the appropriate testing tools to validate and verify application functionality.
- Test all changes by using the appropriate moderately complex test scenarios to ensure all delivered solutions work as expected and errors are handling in a meaningful way.
- Author and maintain documentation by writing audience-appropriate materials to serve as technical and/or end-user references.
IMPLEMENTATION AND MAINTENANCE
- Implement changes by adhering to the change management policies and procedures for any given project to communicate to all parties the nature, significance, and risk factors of the solution.
- Monitor changes and resolve moderately complex problems by responding as they occur, by reviewing all processing and output of the newly implemented solution, and by proactively ensuring the solution works successfully in order to satisfy the customer requirements and to provide a smooth transition to the new solution.
- Provide support by triaging and resolving moderately complex issues to ensure prompt, effective service.
Bachelor’s degree required. Additional experience may be substituted for education. Three years of related work experience with computer systems and applications. Additional education may substitute for experience.
JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. Additional related experience may substitute for required education on the same basis. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of, and demonstrable experience with, Microsoft SQL Server 2005/2008 (including T-SQL, views, stored procedures, user defined functions, etc.)
- Knowledge of, and demonstrable experience with MS SQL Reporting Services and/or Tableau
- Knowledge of, and demonstrable experience with C# .NET, ASP.NET, and/or JAVA
- Knowledge of, and experience conducting requirements gathering sessions
- Ability to represent the customer perspective
- Must demonstrate a strong desire for quality
- Must demonstrate an attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills and an ability to communicate with both technical (developers) and non-technical (customers, management) is necessary
- Must possess all requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities as posted in the supplemental section.
- Must demonstrate strong critical thinking and analytical reasoning skills.
- Ability to work on multiple priorities effectively.
- Ability to prioritize conflicting demands.
- Ability to execute assigned project tasks within established schedule.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively in the service of users and colleagues.
- Writes and communicates clearly and concisely.
- Possesses sound documentation skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Must demonstrate exemplary customer service skills.
Job Req ID: 463