Sr. Program Manager, Systems and Tools (Operations)
at Upstart (View all jobs)
Upstart is a leading AI lending platform partnering with banks to expand access to affordable credit. Forbes recently ranked Upstart #12 on its list of "most promising AI companies in America." Inc. Magazine also recognized Upstart as one of the Best Workplaces for 2020.
By leveraging Upstart's AI platform, Upstart-powered banks can have higher approval rates and lower loss rates, while simultaneously delivering the exceptional digital-first lending experience their customers demand. Upstart's patent-pending platform is the first to receive a no-action letter from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau related to fair lending. Upstart is based in San Mateo, California and Columbus, Ohio.
Most Upstarters join us because they connect with our mission of enabling access to effortless credit based on true risk. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Upstart, we’d love to hear from you.
As the Senior Program Manager of Tools and Systems at Upstart, you will drive productivity and effectiveness of the operations organization, by managing all leading initiatives and configurations of our suite of support systems. You will be responsible for designing and configuring support tools and automation to improve effectiveness and efficiency of the operations team. You will be the voice of the customer and work closely with Compliance, Legal, and Engineering to identify product improvements to improve Upstart’s platform. This is a great opportunity for candidates who want to work in a fast-paced environment, make a big impact and win as a team to scale a growing business.
How you’ll make an impact:
Strategic Initiative, Product Improvement and System Configuration
- Own the business configurations of a portfolio of key operational vendor platforms (CRM, Contact Center/Telephony, Core Loan Servicing) for the Operations team
- Lead RFP processes for evaluating new systems vendors, manage implementation and rollout of systems to Operations team
- Lead teams building new business processes and configurations that enable our evolution of creating effective solutions as scale
- Create and own the roadmap of initiatives as it relates to the business use of our new and existing key operations vendor platforms
- Collaborate with the Product Management Organization on behalf of the Operations teams to advocate for and prioritize high value features and initiatives
- Lead and/or collaborate in the development and execution of pre-launch and post-launch plans for new product offerings and system implementations. For example, ensure the creation of test scripts, change management, and development of training materials are completed
- Own and manage all priority bug fix requests, responsible for engaging and assigning tasks or obtaining feedback from various Ops leads
- Leverage an analytical mindset. Collect data, stakeholder feedback, and program results to inform gains in efficiency and effectiveness
- Balance setting strategic priorities under pressure with high-quality, tactical execution
What we’re looking for
- Minimum requirements
- 7 - 10 + years of experience in an IT systems or product role in a highly regulated industry, preferably financial services.
- 2 - 5 + years of proven success building and leading versatile, high performing, cross-functional teams.
- Experience working with engineering teams to build/launch product features, designing automation scripts or tools, implementing and configuring support systems and tools.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Execution excellence: you are always looking for process improvements and taking the initiative to make the company’s operations more efficient and effective. You understand how to build and lead a culture of operational excellence centered around first in class customer experience. You are adept at driving and implementing cross-functional operational initiatives.
- Technically minded: you have a good understanding of the product development process and can ‘speak the language’ with engineering and IT. You’re able to perform some basic programming tasks as needed.
- Metrics and data-oriented: you make decisions based on data, and are always seeking to understand the story behind the data and the root cause behind a problem. You have a history of establishing data driven performance metrics that drive outcomes to exceptional heights.
- Compliance minded and detail-oriented: You understand how to work in a highly regulated industry where the compliance function is one of your strongest partnerships.
- Respected and influential manager and leader: You have a servant leadership approach to management and are well respected as a leader due to your ability to coach and mentor.
- Scrappy and resourceful: you are willing to roll up your sleeves and get hard work done. You are proactive in testing assumptions and proposing changes to existing structures and policies.
- Adept working cross-functionally: you are skilled at working cross-functionally and establishing yourself as a resource others teams can trust and rely on. You can communicate effectively, diplomatically, and strategically to internal and external partners as needed.
- Preferred Qualifications:
- Knowledge of key regulatory requirements such as UDAAP, TILA, GLBA, TCPA, and SCRA.
- Experience working in a startup environment.
- Consumer lending experience.
What you’ll love:
- Competitive Compensation (base + bonus & equity)
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Personal Development and Technology & Ergonomic Budgets
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Clubs and Activities (Game Nights, Fitstarters, Superwomen, Book Club, Investing Club, Money Discussions, Photography Club and Basketball teams)
- Generous vacation policy
- Catered lunches + snacks & drinks
Upstart is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to ensuring that underrepresented classes receive better access to affordable credit, and are just as committed to embracing diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We celebrate all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and know that we can only become better together.