We are recruiting for a highly driven cross-functional leader with proven product development and technical leadership to drive new initiatives strategic to the Medication Management Solutions (MMS) business. The Sr. Program Manager, has overall accountability for the success of an MMS solution program comprised of multiple hardware, software and enterprise projects. This position leads the design of the product, planning of the development effort, and drives the team’s efforts in execution of all phases through commercial launch.
In this role, you will manage key timelines, dependencies, and Core Team resources across projects and business platforms. You will be accountable to ensure your program is aligned across business scope and milestones. You will also be accountable to ensure your program/project teams are efficient, knowledgeable, and disciplined in delivering the hardware and software solutions on time and on budget through BD’s Global Product Development System (GPDS – phase gate process).
- Ensures alignment of product value proposition, program scope, and strategic business objectives.
- Represents the customer and market viewpoint when leading the team to make technical and program decisions.
- Demonstrates program management best practices and contributes to improving the product development process.
- Generates novel ideas for defining, implementing and bringing to market new products, technologies and services.
- Leads the team to prepare for Phase Gate and other Go/No-Go decisions by executive leadership, ensuring that decisions are informed by a balanced and clearly articulated representation of the relevant data.
- Leads program planning process ensuring requirements are clear and driven by customer need and experience.
- Defines, delegates and evaluates the roles, responsibilities, goals and deliverables for core and extended team members.
- Important roles includes but not limited to Program leadership, Functional leadership, Small Platform leadership, New to the world – project, New to the business – program, Highly complex line extensions.
- Develops innovative solutions to complex business or technical problems that require the regular use of ingenuity and creativity.
- Independently determines and pursues courses of action necessary to obtain desired results.
- Communicates program updates to functional management and executive leadership.
- Leads the NPD Core Teams to mitigate risks and resolve issues quickly.
- Defines program resource needs, and negotiates program resourcing plans.
- Leads key technical design and commercial excellence reviews, constructively challenging the team and the organization to rethink assumptions and approach headwinds in new ways
- In charge of medium-large scale, moderate to high complexity new product development programs with sub-projects that may be related to a technical or business challenge OR in charge of planning & leading execution of a road-map of products.
- Ensures compliance with the company's global development process.
- Manages program budgets and business cases.
- Brings regulatory compliance and quality management questions/issues to the attention of management.
- Leads cross-functional teams through problem resolution including root cause analysis and corrective action
- Performs other related duties and assignments as required.
- Participates in business & technical assessments and influences development decisions.
- Analyzes data and complex situations involving evaluation of tangible variables to programs or collective system of projects.
- Work with functional leaders to ensure the appropriate Core Team resources are committed to the projects and contribute to the expected levels.
- Ensure effective and efficient regular formal and informal communications with the Core Teams using a variety of tools and channels.
- Lead product development utilizing a multitude of processes such as BD’s Global Product Development System, Voice of the Customer/Business, Project Management, and Agile.
- Lead, direct, coach, and mentor Core Team members to maximize project success. Provide meaningful and significant feedback to functional leaders regarding the performance of Core Team members that is considered in annual performance evaluations.
- Participates in, and may provide program/project consultation for multi-disciplinary projects.
- Interacts with senior external personnel on significant business or technical matters often requiring coordination between functions.
- Accountable for developing and ensuring compliance with project budget including capital expenditure, expenses and headcount.
- Works under consultative direction toward predetermined long-range goals and objectives.
- Actively promote continuous learning to improve skills of self and the group.
- Ensure business and technical lessons are reviewed, learned, and disseminated.
- Accountable for overall solution/products’ commercial success.
Education & Experience
- Requires a Bachelor's degree in an engineering field or other technical relevant field, with a minimum of 5-10 years relevant experience in new product development program management of successful cross-functional leadership in a matrix organization.
- Has served as a team member for a minimum of 3-5 years in the delivery of a complex systems and solutions.
- MBA strongly preferred.
- Experience in Med Tech or other highly technical industries strongly preferred, and developing electromechanical / software systems is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Requires a highly motivated, dynamic and customer-centric leader who thrives in a challenging and changing environment.
- Experience leading hardware and software development teams, encompassing Electrical, Mechanical, Embedded software and Enterprise Software solutions
- Experience developing and leading complex electro-mechanical programs
- Proven expertise in developing and moving existing products to new IT platforms, as well as embracing a platform/product development paradigm
- A proven track record of executing of all aspects of product development including requirements, design, development, verification and validation as well as other aspects (e.g. performance, security, usability, scalability, install-ability, supportability) relevant to the final commercialized product
- Experience leading development teams using Microsoft technologies (.NET, C++, C#, SQL, Windows, etc.), agile development practices, and cloud deployment experience is preferred
- Demonstrated ability to successfully influence people and teams at all levels without direct authority.
- Proven success building employee engagement; creating, communicating and building understanding of a shared vision.
- Complete understanding of a wide application of business and program management principles, theories and concepts in the field.
- Generally-accepted Program and Project Management tools (ex: PMBOK®), structured product development process(es)
- Experience with both Agile and Waterfall program management, SCRUM and PMP certification preferred.
- Exceptional critical thinking and change management skills.
- Demonstrated analytical, decision making, prioritization and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage conflicts and ambiguity to drive clarity and deliver results.
- Demonstrates a high level of business acumen integrated across finance, marketing, sales, service, R&D and manufacturing.
- Demonstrated results and solutions-orientation as achieved through optimized processes and flawless execution.
- Ability to champion and execute customer-centric approaches, ideas, methods, and processes.
- Demonstrated strategic agility.
- Experience navigating self and teams in cross-functional environments and/or matrix organizations.
- Requires polished presentation skills to executive leadership level. Represents self and program with an executive presence. Must possess exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Knowledge of and experience in structured product development processes.
- Effective meeting management and group facilitation skills.
- Ability and willingness to travel.
Demonstrates mastery of the following competency areas:
- Business Plan Development – ability to develop and validate new business opportunities. Deeply understand, influence, and manage expedient valuation of strategic hypothesis and assumptions.
- Innovative Ideas & Approaches - ability to generate novel ideas for defining, implementing and bringing to market new solutions.
- Project & Cross-Functional Leadership - possesses the skills, knowledge and aptitude to engage, influence, and direct all functions involved in the development of the assigned product.
- Managerial - ability to manage product development teams effectively.
- Optimized Execution and Performance - advances long-term growth while consistently meeting or exceeding near-term business performance expectations.
- Personal Effectiveness - ability to work effectively within the project team and the cross-functional organization.
- Commercial Excellence - ability to effectively apply business, financial and commercial knowledge to successfully deliver the product development outcomes
Job ID R-323850