Short Elliott Hendrickson Inc. (SEH®) is an employee-owned company comprised of more than 800 engineers, architects, planners, scientists and talented professionals who work to provide exceptional service and value to our public and private clients. SEH employee-owners solve our world's complex challenges of renewing infrastructure, improving mobility, engineering clean water and designing better places all which contribute to Building a Better World for All of Us®. We've been in business for more than 90 years with evidence of our work in more than 40 states.
SEH has an immediate full-time opportunity available for a Sr. Professional Engineer II within our Civil Engineering Practice Center located in Rochester, MN. The Sr. Professional Engineer II will be responsible for the leadership of the Rochester office Civil Engineering practice as the Office Practice Leader (OPL). This position will serve as the manager and technical advisor, as well as provide insight for strategic planning and business development activities and procedures.
The OPL will also be responsible for overseeing all projects and professional personnel assigned to the Civil Engineering Practice Center to ensure project results meet client expectations and deadlines, and are completed in accordance with the design standards and company requirements. The OPL will be responsible for ensuring appropriate staff mix to match work levels, meet profitability goals, and be accountable for ensuring the successful recruitment and retention of competent and qualified professionals to meet the objectives of SEH.
The Senior Professional Engineer II will consist of a healthy mix of business development and operations and will generate work from public and private clients. This person will also have project management, client development and client management responsibilities, marketing SEH services to clients, project scoping and contracting, leading a design team in the production of construction plans and supervision of project and office staff.
Responsibilities may include:
- Participate with a broad range professionals in delivering planning, landscape architecture, engineering and architecture projects.
- Prepare project approach, scope and fee required to complete projects.
- Manage business development activities with established and prospective clients.
- Maintain and cultivate client relationships.
- Participate in client interviews and/or proposal presentations.
- Participate in recruitment and selection of project team personnel.
- Maintain project schedule and assure that deadlines are met.
- Maintain close relationships with clients throughout development of projects.
- Maintain client contact after project is completed. Represent SEH with agencies at project and public meetings.
- Manage, mentor, and coach staff as needed to promote a positive team environment.
- Actively participate in Regional and Practice Center decisions and meetings.
- Understand market needs and trends in order to identify and act on opportunities.
- Monitor business operations for the Rochester office Civil Engineering practice.
- Schedule and facilitate staffing and workload for the Rochester office Civil Engineering practice.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors Degree in Civil Engineering.
- Minimum fifteen (15) years previous experience in the Civil Engineering field.
- Professional Engineer in the State of Minnesota.
- Previous Construction Administration and Project Management experience of Civil / Municipal design projects including streets and utilities.
- Previous experience in proposal and client management; Demonstrated ability to develop new business opportunities and win project proposals.
- Previous experience leading and developing a team of engineering professionals; demonstrated ability to foster a collaborative team environment and retain high morale with department personnel through frequent communication and interaction; ability to inspire, motivate and lead by example.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and tactfully both verbally and in writing.
- Experience in developing project specifications, making materials and equipment recommendations, and preparing bidding documents.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Applications.
- Must possess a valid Driver’s License and be able to provide own means of reliable transportation.
- Ability to travel as needed for team meetings, client consultations, on-site inspections, etc.
- Ability to walk and climb over rough terrain and carry up to 40 pounds.
- Previous experience managing a staff