At EBSCO Information Services (EIS) we’re helping to build a vibrant ecosystem to advance research, teaching and learning. We seek a Product Owner (PO) with a strong technical background to become a primary resident product expert for a subset of our SaaS products. We seek a Product Owner to lead the implementation of feature enhancements and new product offerings in a highly collaborative environment. Your role is to design innovative solutions to real market problems. You will work closely with other product owners, industry experts, clients, product managers, user interaction designers, requirements analysts, customer satisfaction, software engineers and architects to develop new product offerings and improve existing ones to maximize impact for libraries served by EIS worldwide.
The PO will implement product vision & development with a clear focus on client and end-user needs. The PO role will close the gap between a product manager’s understanding of the needs of the marketplace and the development team’s need for product direction, understanding the detail of personas and their problems.
- Collaborate closely with clients to define the most pressing problems that require solutions
- Collaborate closely with Product Management to translate business priorities into user-friendly solutions
- Collaboration with UI designers, developers, and testers to identify feature details and create user stories for implementation.
- Own user stories, prioritization, requirements creation and definition of done
- Own the product backlog, timelines, and acceptance criteria
- Communicate product and feature status to Product Management and escalate issues that need business decisions or direction
- Provide subject matter expertise and represent the voice of the client
- Manage and communicate trade-offs between cost/schedule versus business benefit.
- Provide detailed scenarios to enable the PO/agile development teams to better understand the intent of features from the perspective of the market problem being solved/user persona needs.
- Serve as the point-person on those features throughout the development lifecycle, as a customer/end-user proxy to agile development teams working on features.
- Ensure successful high-quality release of features that deliver functionality meeting customer needs.
- Enable testing of features and clearly describe any unexpected results to enable remediation by development team.
- Proactively communicate progress, decisions, impediments, and risks during ongoing product development iterations with key stakeholders.
- Drive & Persistence: Cares intensely about EBSCO's success, is tenacious and will not be denied success, finishes and persists until the task is complete, gives 100%, inspires others with thirst for excellence.
- Positive Attitude: Displays a 'can do' attitude, sees 'bad news' and problems as opportunities to improve, doesn't tolerate negativity, doesn't complain but provides constructive criticism.
- Eagerness to Understand: Learns rapidly and eagerly, seeks to understand our strategy, markets, customers and suppliers, is broadly knowledgeable about business and strategy, contributes effectively outside of specialty, contributes effectively outside area of specialty, understands how work relates to company goals to make improvements consistent with these goals, follows facts and draws logical conclusions even if those conclusions differ from the status quo.
- Sound Judgement: Makes wise decisions despite ambiguity, identifies root causes and gets beyond treating symptoms, separates what must be done well now and what can be improved later, displays solid logic and common sense, focuses on long-term consequences and not just the short-term
- Collaborative by choice and doesn’t make decisions in isolation
- Open Communication: Communicates directly with fact-based positions while avoiding unnecessary confrontation, willing to tell people what they need to hear in a respectful way, is concise and articulate in speech and writing, treats people with respect independent of their status or views, says what you think in a professional manner, listens well to better understand.
- Accountability: Self-motivating, self-aware, self-disciplined and self-improving, proactively does what needs to be done, acknowledges problems, takes responsibility, determines what can be done to solve the problem, takes action and demonstrates the 'See It, Own It, Solve It and Do It' characteristics described in The Oz Principle.
- Trust & Respect: Assumes the best in people and their intent to do the right thing, communicates professionally at all times, treats others as though they like to be treated, experiments, takes initiative and learns from mistakes, doesn't look to blame individuals, but rather seeks fault in the systems and processes that allow problems to occur and fixes them, gives credit to those deserving of it.
- Enthusiasm: Exhibit passion and excitement regarding your work, and for improving the responsiveness and quality of the solutions delivered
- Adaptable to changing priorities and conditions and copes effectively with ambiguity and complexity
- Detail-oriented, yet able to look at a wide array of choices and identify what truly matters
- Technical Acumen: Understanding of system and solution architect/engineering at a level to assist with decision making and sequencing of key technological infrastructures that are needed to execute dependent user stories.
Skills or experience that you need
- BA/BS required ; BS in Computer Science, Library Science or related field preferred
- 3+ year’s experience as a Product Owner, Product Manager or similar technical, customer-facing role required.
- 2+ years working in lean-agile software development environment
- Minimum of 5 years of experience working with software development teams required
- Outstanding logical/structured analytical ability to effectively understand and decompose product requirements into detailed stories/specifications
- Effective presentation skills, outstanding written communication skills, able to inspire confidence of colleagues, and raise and answer key questions
- Highly effective at working with remote colleagues, including across time zones and with varied cultural backgrounds
Skills or experience that sets you apart
- 3 or more year’s experience directly or indirectly with higher education; Experience working with research library or public library product platforms preferred
- 2 or more year’s experience working with analytics, data, & statistics
- Expertise with Tableau
- Proven ability to derive actionable insights from customer usage data
- Familiarity with the Pragmatic Marketing Framework