The American Chemical Society is looking for a Sr. Product Manager, Outreach Events to join the Marketing, Sales and New Product Innovation Department within the ACS Publications Division.
Division and Unit Overview
The Marketing, Sales and New Product Innovation Department is responsible for developing marketing strategies and implementing sales programs for the ACS Publications Division’s product lines. Inherent to this is analyzing all results and recommending future direction for the marketing and positioning of ACS Publications’ products within the chemical/scientific community marketplace. The Marketing Department is committed to building a better online, purchasing, and reading experience, as well as improving the scholarly research and communications environment for both the customer and the end user. Key constituents include institutional librarian administrators, corporate librarians, authors, reviewers, ACS members, editors, and the range of end-users (subscribers and non-subscribers).
A critical function of the Marketing Department is a strategic outreach program that fosters communication and nurtures relationships with many of these key constituents. With an extensive portfolio of journals, eBooks and otherdigital products, the Marketing Department is tasked with developing ongoing conversations and strengthening relationships to instigate positive brand recognition and ultimately increase sales and revenue. With a truly global research community as its audience, ACS Publications has a growing need to expand its footprint and influence, both on a global and regional level.
Reporting to the Assistant Director, Marketing Communications and Outreach, the Senior Product Manager, Outreach Events will be responsible for helping shape and establish the needed strategic global outreach vision and strategy, as well as its implementation, for ACS Publications and its portfolio of journals and products. The incumbent will play a pivotal role in growing ACS Publications’ profile in the global market by developing and executing key outreach events and programs. Working very closely with Publishers in Editorial Development, key ACS-international staff, as well as Sales Directors and Marketing Managers, the Senior Product Manager, Outreach Events will provide oversight to a multi-layered outreach events strategy; the incumbent will provide high level program management and coordination to identify goals, content and promotion strategy, to manage budgets, and to oversee the coordination of all logistics. Working cross-functionally to manage the execution of these events, the person will similarly create qualitative and quantitative measures to evaluate success and consequently enhance this multi-tier program to better serve our global community of authors, researchers, and institutional customers/librarians. The Senior Product Manager, Outreach Events will be tasked with fostering relationships with both internal and external stakeholders, overseeing and effectively managing multiple, time sensitive priorities. In addition to overseeing this portfolio, the incumbent will manage a team of staff who focus on particular outreach initiatives within this function. Additional responsibilities include public speaking and integrated marketing campaign development. The Senior Product Manager, Outreach Events will further explore, conceptualize and gain buy-in for new initiatives in the academic, corporate and government space. The incumbent will oversee a team of outreach staff who will support similar objectives and outreach initiatives, including the Outreach Marketing Specialist, an Events Coordinator-Asia, and a Marketing Coordinator.
The role will require a decent amount of travel, domestically and internationally—upwards of 30%.
- Work together with staff in ACS headquarters as well as the global team to devise a comprehensive outreach events strategy and calendar.
- Serve in a management role within theMarketing Communications & Outreach team. Manage a team of outreachevents staff with overall responsibility for project managing and executing a multi-tieredevents strategy to, amongother objectives, foster relationships andpartnerships with key institutions, attract new authors, generate awareness of the Publications Division’s suite of products and services while establishing positive brand recall of the Society. Supervise 2 team members:
- Outreach Marketing Manager: Focused on program oversight and project management of the Society’s flagship outreach program, ACS on Campus. Oversees a Marketing Coordinator who largely focuses on key event management logistics and overall department-wide coordinator tasks, including media buying, public relations efforts, content development and promotional inventory.
- Events Coordinator-Asia: Focused on relationship management and on-the-ground event management for key Tier 1 and Tier 2 events, directing key logistics and project oversight.
- Set the strategic direction and overall program management for key ACS Publications outreach efforts. This includes oversight of all logistics and relationship development, as well as strategic promotional plans, communications and event analysis for the Innovation Symposia Series, the ACS Forum/Conference calendar, and the ACS on Campus program.
- Represent ACS Publications on Society-wide event initiatives and collaborates with colleagues across all areas of the organization.
- Utilize exceptional project management skills to oversee pre-event reviews, communication, post-event analysis and reporting to optimize lead generation opportunities and establish healthy ROI.
- Serve in a central management role, working with cross-functional teams to determine and prioritize a global events calendar (9-12year rolling plan for all events).
- Identify opportunities to engage with our audience of authors, editors, reviewers, readers, customers and librarians on a global scale.
- Oversee the marketing and promotion of key platform initiatives and enhancements and identify opportunities to leverage this online presence to engage with the Division’s and the Society’s key constituents.
Undergraduatedegree in Business, Marketing or related field; graduate degreepreferred. 10+ years of related experience in project management and administration, event management and/or communications, preferably within the research industries. Must demonstrate a quantifiable history of demand generation campaign development, execution and pipeline contribution, as well as proven strategic and operational expertise in events and marketing. Position requires excellent written and verbal communication skills. International experience is a plus. Must demonstrate strong organizational management skills with an exceptional ability to prioritize and manage time effectively. Must show proven success in strategic planning and analysis skills in sales, marketing and business strategy. Experience in technical publications and/or online services preferred. Must demonstrate skills in professional writing. Position requires familiarity and experience with the Microsoft Office suite, CRM software and key social media platforms.