Technical leadership of all aspects of product development of laser components, from concept through production. An opportunity to influence next generation laser diode component product designs for high performance and reliability, and to develop engineering and program management skills.
- Lead the technical development of diode laser-based packages from concept into production phase, providing leadership to cross-functional teams.
- Develop and optimize designs while meeting performance, cost, reliability and schedule requirements. Develop and document IP through novel packaging designs and assembly methods.
- Utilize DFSS concepts including DOE and FMEA, Monte-Carlo analysis throughout development process to influence designs and achieve optimized results.
- Work with multifunctional teams to develop custom assembly equipment, including optical, mechanical, and software.
- Characterize optical assemblies and provide feedback to the team with written and verbal technical reports, and recommendations for path forward.
- Create product requirements, specifications and supporting technical documentation (BOMS, qualification reports, product characterization summaries, assembly instructions Gauge R&R studies, CpK Analysis, etc.)
- Validate the manufacturability of new designs by identifying critical manufacturing tolerances and the process steps that lead to a viable process capability.
- Develop qualification test schedules that include environmental testing, accelerated aging, and design margin assessment by testing to failure.
- Collaborate with product managers and product engineers to identify technology gaps and product deficiencies and provide roadmaps for closure.
- Perform line and equipment capacity modeling, and make new equipment purchase recommendations.
- Conduct process validation, capability, and gauge studies.
- Present information in written and oral reports to all levels within nLight.
- 9+ years relevant industry experience, which must include a track record of taking product designs from concept to volume production.
- MS Material Science Engineering, Physics, Chemistry or similar filed.
- High reliability laser packaging and opto-mechanical design experience.
- Process Development experience, including DOE and DFSS.
- Thorough knowledge of laser diode optics and fiber coupling methods.
- In-depth, practical knowledge of epoxy types and applications is preferred.
- High volume (>10,000/yr) experience in a manufacturing environment is preferred.