Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Our Optical Communications segment has recently evolved from being a manufacturer of optical fiber and cable, hardware and equipment to being a comprehensive provider of industry-leading optical solutions across the broader communications industry.This segment is classified into two main product groupings – carrier network and enterprise network. The carrier network product group consists primarily of products and solutions for optical-based communications infrastructure for services such as video, data and voice communications. The enterprise network product group consists primarily of optical-based communication networks sold to businesses, governments and individuals for their own use.
Scope of Position:
Innovate and design high precision optical connectors and other related fiber optic telecommunication products. Collaborate with process development and manufacturing engineers to deliver high volume manufacturable products.
Area of Application:
• Create detailed mechanical designs of optical connectors and related cable assemblies
• Understanding of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerances (ASME Y14.5 2009)
• Proficient using 3D CAD software
• Analyze current designs and new concepts with sensitivity and tolerance analysis
• Identify design risks with failure mode analysis
• Provide reliable solutions using advanced problem solving and analytical techniques
• Component design for high volume precision injection molding and metal machining processes
• Understanding of polymers and bonding materials for use in optical assemblies
• Understanding of precision manufacturing and measurement techniques
• Familiarity of molding, extrusion and bonding processes
• Working knowledge of Creo and Windchill
• Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
• Familiarity with patent research and application process
• Root Cause Analysis tools (FMEA)
• TRIZ problem solving technique
• Scientific curiosity and innovative mindset
• Self-motivated to deliver results with minimal supervision
• Communicates effectively (verbal and written)
• Organized with good planning and time management skills
• Works effectively and builds relationships with global cross functional teams
• Positive attitude, flexible, proactive, and committed work ethic
• M.S Mechanical Engineeringrequired. PhD degreepreferred.
• At least 5 years’ experience in the design of precision injection molded and machined components with 3D CAD package.
• Demonstrated ability to solve challenging technical problems by developing creative designs and solutions with an understanding of the underlying engineering principles.
• Up to 10% global travel.
Req #: 6922