The Sr. Product Compliance Engineer, reporting to the Building Science Manager, has responsibilities which encompass product evaluation and testing against building code requirements. Additional responsibilities include product certification to green building programs and external industry certifications required by the marketing group. This position is expected to work closely with all R&D product development teams during and throughout the James Hardie innovation process (concept feasibility through implementation). The Product Compliance Engineer will also provide technical support in the form of design advice, engineering and guidance to both internal and external customers relating to product application and use.
Product Testing and Evaluation – 40%
- Product Development
- Perform product evaluation needs assessment and establish Scope of Work for all new product development projects
- Build assemblies and perform internal ASTM testing prior to testing at external laboratories
- Manage product testing (central contact with all 3rd party labs doing testing) related to product evaluations
- Manage new product evaluation with appropriate regulatory bodies (e.g. ICC-ES, Texas Department of Insurance, HUD, Miami-Dade County, State of Florida Product Approval, CCMC)
- Manage product certification with external bodies (e.g. UL Environment, National Green Building Standards, Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval)
- Manage structural analysis as needed to support external evaluations
- Assist marketing as needed with tests and/or projects that expand or open markets for existing products
- Assemble proposals and liaise with external agencies performing tests or writing reports
Product Evaluation Reports and Product Certifications 30%
- Ensure that all existing product evaluationreports and product certifications remain current to the latest building regulations.
- Communicate with officials as needed
- Manage testing associated with compliance reports
- Pay fees as needed
- Ensure that non-regulatory agencies are satisfied
Technical Support – 30%
- Multifamily/Commercial Segment Technical Support
- Work with Architects and General Contractors on the phone to resolve project questions related to Hardie product applications
- Initiate and follow through on third party Structural Engineering work
- Perform analysis on mechanical connections and transverse loads, ASCE 7 and NDS for wood construction
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to work within a high performing team
- Ability to collaborate with a wide range of professionals including:
- Plant Operators
- Third Party Professional Engineers
- Research and Development staff
- Sales & Marketing
- upper level management
- Very good communication skills,
- Ability to organize data into written reports and oral presentations
- Ability to put together a submittal package with multiple reports and forms
- Ability to work autonomously with minimal supervision after goals are defined
- Ability to negotiate and gain compliance
- Ability to strategize long term
- Excellent organizational skills
- Thoroughness and attention to detail is critical
- Good technical writing skills and the ability to read and comprehend technical documents.
- Ability to solve a wide range of difficult problems in imaginative and practical ways and evaluate alternative solutions that may require coordination across multiple teams.
- Ability to assess and redirect engineering efforts in a continually changing environment.
- Ability to work on technical problems of diverse scope and complexity and foresee and evaluate various outcomes.
For successful performance in this position, the incumbent will need to possess the following experience/skills, education:
- 5 years of experience in product testing, product evaluation, or building products
- B.S. in Engineering (Civil or Mechanical)
- Professional License is preferred but not a requirement.
- Experience in the following disciplines (Keywords below):
- Civil Engineer
- Civil Engineering Technologist
- Test Engineer (within a building products lab)
- Construction Technologist
- Construction Management
- Evaluation Specialist
- Building Official
- Research Engineer
- Structural Engineer
- Quality Engineer