The Sr. Process Engineer is responsible for managing the Process Engineering related activities improving our Safety, Quality, Delivery and Cost metrics with sustainment and advancement of various manufacturing processes focusing in EPOX. Responsible for transforming molding processes to the world-class level through process engineering.
- Main function is to manage Process Engineers through project planning with estimated project tasks hours, milestones and project completion.
- Responsible for sustainment activities related to Process Engineering. This primarily includes leading and/or actively participating in COQ(Quality) problem solving projects with Epox Processes. Actively involved in failure analysis and fatigue testing for molded products
- Responsible for creating sustainable processing methods and strive for mistake proofing with creativity.
- Responsible for driving advancement of processing techniques to support the long-term vision of growth and cost savings. Overseeing research and development of new manufacturing equipment/software, processes, policies, standard operating procedures and work instructions.
- Improve manufacturing processes through review of all engineering deliverables for technical accuracy and adherence to engineering standards and project schedules.
- Support and improve JDE-QMS or any other future data collection system for continuously improving our business intelligence reporting and data analytics.
- Establish process controls for all processes and train appropriate personnel for optimum use of it. Establish critical characteristics for all processes and systems for monitoring those variables.
- Develop and conduct process audits in association with Quality and molding departments.
- Hire, train and mentor engineers and support staff to work to their full potential. Maintain department quality and performance metrics. Write performance reviews and solve departmental issues.
- Review and write reports, approve expenditures, enforce rules. Recommend, plan and direct installation of new equipment. Communicate and collaborate with other managers and departments. Prepare and deliver Manufacturing Engineering-related presentations as required.
- Lead and support Tooling PM program with documentation and support operations to sustain it for our molding processes. Lead tool design improvements/changes.
- Lead formulation of epoxy polymer products to achieve targeted attributes and execute development from bench to production scale for new product improvements (cost savings, process optimization, etc.)
- Possess an excellent understanding of thermoset polymers, from macroscopic to microscopic levels to assist in new product development, feasibility studies and failure analysis
- Cross function team management and methodical approach for problem solving using Designed of Experiment, Gage R&R trials, A/B testing, and statistical analysis to provide input in the next steps of a development effort.
- Project leadership with complex and ambiguous project management experience, including, but not limited to scope, schedule, cost, risk, resource, and change management
- Establish, track and manage key performance metrics for project success.
- Run Molding technology lab and drive the Molding Innovation Center to help G&W reach world class status.
- Masters degree in Plastics/Polymer Processing or Materials with 5+ years of experience in the field of processing. 2 to 5+ years of project management and leadership experience.
- Strong understanding and experience executing Design of Experiments (DOE’s) and A/B testing
- Previous history with molding and characterizing two component liquid thermoset plastics, cast resin compounds and vacuum casting. Experience with silicone molding is a plus.
- Two+ years’ experience with liquid gelation molding and ring line dispensing systems
- Knowledge of fluid dispensing systems, or centralized material delivery systems monitored by a distributed control systems
- Strong understanding of Polymer rheology and test methods such as DSC, TGA, Goniometry, DMA and physical testing
- Must possess skills to use CAD, Pro-E and polymer flow simulation software. Experience running a simulation software and concepts of material flow and characterize the material for feeding the simulation software
- Experience with failure analysis using advanced techniques
- Computer proficient; confident with data analysis programs
- Strong Problem-solving skills with experience using root cause analysis techniques
- Ability to mentor, motivate and develop subordinates.
- Examples of new product production integration and operational improvement projects.
- Six sigma, Red X, or other problem-solving certification or experience.
- Experience working cross-functionally with all levels of the organization structure.
- Polymer material rheology and flow simulation experience.
Physical Demands / Working Conditions:
- General Office Environment, PC use
- Light Lifting (occasional 25 lbs or less)