$80K — $100K *
We were born of innovation, springing from the curiosity, imagination and dedication of remarkable scientists and healthcare visionaries. Our shared mission is to challenge the inevitability of genetic disease by discovering, developing, and delivering treatments in ways unimaginable – until now.
We don’t follow footsteps. We create the path.
The Senior Upstream PD Scientist is a key member of the upstream bioreactor team within the Upstream PD Group. He/she will be responsible for:
• Applying quality-by-design and risk-based approach to the development of cell culture seed trains that are robust, reproducible and scalable for recombinant adeno-associated viral vector (rAAV) production processes up to and ≥ 200L.
• Planning and performing experiments in the development, optimization and scale-up of rAAV production processes in suspension cell culture systems, with a focus on the seed train.
• Culturing suspension cells for rAAV production in shake flasks, stirred tank bioreactors, rocker-style bioreactors, AMBR systems, etc.
• Addressing complex cell culture seed train development challenges by demonstrating and applying cross-functional knowledge with a keen understanding of industry best operating procedures and regulatory expectations.
• Analyzing and interpreting experimental results; suggesting changes or additional experiments to improve the robustness and/or reproducibility of the cell culture seed train process.
• Participating in discussions regarding the troubleshooting of seed train processes and/or investigations; performing supporting studies as needed.
• Contributing to the evaluation and implementation of new technology development.
• Participating in Technology Transfer from process development to manufacturing sites; assisting in training manufacturing staff as needed.
• Designing and executing protocols, assembling data and drafting appropriate technical documentation, which may include, but is not limited to SOPs and Process Development Reports.
The Senior Upstream PD Scientist position requires the following:
• The successful candidate will be skilled in suspension cell culture and have in-depth familiarity and knowledge of production processes.
• He/she should have hands on working experience in upstream process development, including scaling-up seed train and/or production processes, capability for troubleshooting process and/or equipment issues, and ability to work/communicate effectively with fellow team members, as well as with project teams.
% of Time Job Function and Description
15% Actively participate in the planning/prioritization of projects, balancing in-house work and outsourced work/activities. Design experiments, prepare protocols, and ensure execution of said experiments. Assemble experimental data and prepare data summaries.
60% Hands-on execution of experiments on the bench, deliver reliable experimental results for the various development projects. Troubleshoot any issues that arise.
15% Write and/or review technical process development reports and any other relevant process documentation (e.g. SOPs, Process Descriptions, etc.)
10% Manage raw material/instrument supplies to ensure efficient and timely upstream operations. Prepare documents/presentations/materials for meetings, conferences and/or publications. Attend internal meetings, participate in training sessions, perform administrative duties.
• Typically, has a Ph.D. or master’s degree in relevant scientific discipline (e.g. chemical engineering, molecular biology, virology, biochemistry, etc.).
• Generally, has 5+ years of relevant scientific and/or technical experience in the life sciences/Biotech industry.
• Strong skills with mammalian cell culture is a must.
• Hands on experience in upstream process development with suspension cell culture in shake flasks, Ambr15/250, rocker-style bioreactors and/or benchtop stirred tank bioreactors is essential.
• Experience with viral vector production preferred.
• Experience with development and optimization of cell culture media and/or feeding strategies in bioreactors is a plus.
Describe critical skill and abilities needed to successfully perform the job, which should be representative of the knowledge, skills, and abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Hands-on experience in the development, optimization and scale-up of cell culture seed train
processes for stirred tank bioreactor production.
• Hands-on experience in performing cell culture in shake flasks, AMBR 15 and or 250
systems, rocker-style bioreactors and benchtop stirred tank bioreactors.
• Good scientific knowledge of cell and molecular biology, biochemistry and bioprocessing.
• Strong capability in experimental design and data analysis, with a proven record of
• Proven ability to evaluate, refine, and implement new processes.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Demonstrated planning and organizational skills.
Valid through: 12/1/2020