The Productivity + Intelligence group in Microsoft Research seeks experienced research managers in empirical software engineering to join us in advancing research on Data-driven and AI-infused Developer Productivity Experiences aimed at the goals of creating more transparent and measurable productivity, empowering the next-generation of diverse developers and enabling a more secure developer ecosystem. We seek senior leaders with demonstrated experience in advancing and applying data-driven and/or predictive data-driven machine learned models to code analysis and automated software engineering metrics. Candidates would join us as we work together with our collaborators in research and product teams on advancing fundamental and applied research in real-world settings.
We offer a vibrant environment for cutting-edge, multidisciplinary, research, including access to diverse, real-world problems and data, opportunities for experimentation and real-world impact, an open publication policy, and close links to top academic institutions around the world.Responsibilities:
As a researcher in Microsoft Research, you will have the opportunity to develop your research career as a member of a world-class research organization. You will also have opportunities to see your ideas realized in products and services that will be used worldwide.Qualifications:
- A PhD in computer science or other related field (e.g., statistics, information science)
- 7+ years post-PhD research experience.
- 2+ years experience managing and building high-performing teams.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and communicate effectively as part of a team.
- Ability to define an impactful research agenda.
- Expertise in software engineering including developer productivity, developer communities, and its applications as evidenced by published research in top peer-reviewed software engineering venues (e.g. ICSE, ESEC/FSE, ICSME, MSR, TSE, TOSEM, CSCW, ASE, etc.).
- Experience working across academic disciplines and across research/product settings; or experience across theoretical and applied settings.
- A well-established research track record as demonstrated by publications, open source software, etc.
- Recognition as an academic leader and/or industrial leader as evidenced through influential cited publications in peer-review venues, marquee technology venues.
Please submit a CV or resume.
We also recommend you upload:
- A conference/journal publication, book chapter or other writing sample which demonstrates your recent research (published or submitted in the last 4 years).
- A statement that outlines your service and outreach activities and plans (for example, those related to mentoring or diversity).
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.