The California Independent System Operator (ISO) manages the flow of electricity across the high-voltage, long-distance power lines that make up 80 percent of California's power grid. We safeguard the economy and well-being of 30 million Californians by operating the grid reliabily 24/7.
As the impartial grid operator, the California ISO opens access to the wholesale power market that is designed to diversify resources and lower prices. It also grants equal access to 25,865 circuit-miles of power lines and reduces barriers to diverse resources competing to bring power to customers.
The California ISO's function is often compared to that of air traffic controllers. It would be grossly unfair for air traffic controllers to represent one airline and profit from allowing that company's planes to go through before others. In the same way, the California ISO operates independently—managing the electron traffic on a power grid we do not own—making sure electricity is safely delivered to utilities and consumers on time and reliably.
Under the general direction of the Manager, works on highly complex engineering assignments, acts as a subject matter expert, provides expertise on studies, integrates, enhances and supports advanced applications. Acts as project coordinator in the design, engineering and testing of market software. Anticipates, identifies and resolves engineering-related problems or potential problems within assigned areas, and may propose solutions to such issues. Coordinates software changes with other internal departments and with associated vendors as appropriate. Provides technical expertise and business rule support to other departments and external entities relating to market operations.
What's In it for You
Our purpose is to lead the way to tomorrow's energy network. Make a difference and impact millions of people who depend on electricity in their everyday lives.
- You get to work on interesting and challenging assignments that will help grow your skill set.
- You will work in an extremely collaborative environment inside our LEED certified Folsom, California campus.
- You will be challenged, be a part of a winning team, and your contributions will be rewarded and recognized.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Performs all functional testing of existing applications and new features added in the domain of Day-Ahead market, Real-time Market and the Market Quality Solutions. Validates that software meets the business rules, policies, and operation reliability.
- Provides 24x7 on-call support to the operations floor, including day-ahead, hour-ahead and real-time desks. Provides training, guidance, and supervisory support for on-call staff as appropriate.
- Demonstrates a thorough knowledge of policy issues and related matters, and works under minimum supervision. Anticipates, identifies and resolves engineering-related problems and potential problems within assigned areas. May propose solutions to issues and problems outside of assigned areas of responsibility.
- Maintains the current applications analyzing system errors contemporaneously from all angles of expertise to direct others to determine the root cause application problem. Focuses on prompt recovery of the system and provides timely problem resolution.
- Partners with other staff to define functional requirements for Market Operations and advanced applications and increase mutual understanding of the capability of optional computer solutions to satisfy needs.
- Integrates, enhances, improves, tests, and supports Day-Ahead Market (DAM), Real-Time Market, Market Quality Services (MQS) applications as well as other advanced applications related to operations.
- Performs the duties needed to supplement designing, testing and documenting user training or other such activities, when necessary.
Level of Education and Discipline
- A Bachelor's degree (BA, BS) or equivalent education, training or experience in Engineering with emphasis in Power Systems, Economics, Computer Science or related field.
- Master Degree preferred.
Amount of Experience
- Equivalent years of education and training, plus five (5) or more years related experience.