What sets Bank of the West apart from other banks is our team members–they embody the optimistic spirit of the West. There is a spirit here that drives us to do more. Our team of more than 10,000 employees is vital to the success of our Bank. They reflect our modern western values—straightforward, entrepreneurial and optimistic. We seek to create a corporate culture that fosters and rewards excellence, encourages creative thinking and respects diversity – an environment where team members are engaged, supportive of one another and enthusiastic about serving our customers. Bank of the West offers the stability of a company that has a 135 year history and is part of BNP Paribas, a European leader in global banking and financial services and one of the 6 strongest banks in the world. We offer opportunities across our diverse business lines – Retail Banking, Commercial Banking, National Finance, and Wealth Management.
We are currently seeking qualified, motivated talent to be responsible for timely and accurate processing of the bank’s complex payroll for three individual companies, according to pre-established processing dates. Responsible for all incoming and outgoing interface files to ensure all files are processed properly, which includes analyzing, preparing, and communicating to business partners and third party vendors. Responsible for leading all tax updates, which includes responsibility of preparing all test scripts, leading the testing, and coordinating the installations. Develops and provides the Payroll Department and business partners with required/ adhoc reports. Responsible for all pre/post payroll jobs streams throughout each pay cycle. Participates as a key team member for all payroll projects, which includes responsibility of preparing test scripts, testing, and communicating all changes to the Payroll Operations group. Analyzes all payroll system related issues and changes, and follows issue to resolution.
1. Business liaison between the payroll department and the payroll provider ADP. Analyzes all issues and either resolves the issue correctly within the payroll department or knows when to escalates complex problems to appropriate parties for quick resolution. Recommends changes to the payroll systems to help streamline and improve processes.
2. Responsible for all incoming and outgoing interface files according to pre-established processing dates. Reviews files for accuracy and communicates issues to business partners and third party vendors. Troubleshoots and resolves interface issues, including recommending any changes to process or file content. Process all files according to established procedures requiring 100% accuracy.
3. Responsible for ensuring all pre/post payroll job streams throughout each pay cycle are completed and ensure all transactions are posted correctly and balances to the bank’s General Ledger.
4. Must have an understanding of all accounting and auxiliary system requirements to ensure accurate reporting. This includes W-2 balances, tax filings, banking requirements, benefits, and pension/401k record keeping.
5. Business liaison between the payroll department and the timekeeping provider Ceridian. Complete understanding of all state and federal labor laws to ensure the system is programmed properly for accurate overtime reporting. Recommends changes to the timekeeping system to help streamline and improve processes.
6. Develops/writes ongoing payroll reports as well as adhoc reporting as needed. May train payroll personnel in report writing.
7. Key team member for all payroll projects. Responsible for all preparing all test scripts, testing, and communicating changes and key project dates/milestones to the payroll operations group.
8. Sets up new earnings and deduction codes as needed, analyzing the requirements to ensure the mapping is correct for all Taxes, 401K, and GL and Special Accumulators. Communicates all new or changes to earnings and deduction codes within the Payroll Group as well as designated HR areas.
9. Assist in security access maintenance for the payroll system and all related systems used by the payroll department.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
· Bachelor’s Degree - Required
· Required License(s) or Certifications in Certified Payroll Professional - Required
· 7 years or more of experience in payroll and payroll systems
· 3-5 years in banking / finance
· Experience with ADP EV3, ADP Benefits, ADP Garnishments, ADP Payroll Taxes, Ceridian Timekeeping, and pension/401k record keeping.
· Knowledge of all federal, states labor laws and tax reporting
· Extensive knowledge of payroll, payroll taxes, benefits, garnishments, and general knowledge banking pay policies and practices.
· Strong analytical skills
· Advanced working knowledge of Microsoft Access and Microsoft Excel.
· Ability to understand report requirements and system capabilities to produce desired reports.
· Understanding and experience with functional features of payroll systems and payroll system integration, management reporting.
· Knowledge and experience with General Ledger and related systems.
· Ability to communicate effectively with various teams members and levels of management.
· Strong customer service skills
· Strong oral & written communication skills, including listening effectively
· Knowledge of testing payroll functionality, including writing test plans, test scripts and implementing test procedures
· Knowledge of employee benefits
· General knowledge banking policies
· Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines