Varian, a leading cancer care company, is seeking an experienced Intellectual Property Attorney to join an established and growing legal team. This is a perfect position for a skilled intellectual property attorney to make an impact protecting innovations at the forefront of cancer therapy. This is an opportunity to work with the "best and brightest" in an established yet evolving company. You will interact with scientists, engineers and internal business people at all levels, as well as with your colleagues in the legal department.
You will be responsible for developing Varian's patent portfolio and supporting business and management initiatives. Primary responsibilities for this position include the design and implementation of processes that will ensure strategic capture and management of Varian's intellectual property and oversight of patent prosecution of Varian's patent portfolio. This is a perfect role for someone who enjoys both problem solving with a team, and working independently to complete tasks and projects. You will thrive if you have excellent communication skills, business judgment, and demonstrated ability to complete tasks efficiently and diligently. Knowledge of the life sciences/medical device industry is a plus.
- Leads and organizes efforts to identify inventions and develop invention disclosures. Assists inventors with the writing and submittal of invention disclosures, instructs inventors in legal requirements for a patentable invention and advises on research data needed to support patentability of Varian inventions
- Building and maintaining internal IP management systems, patent and annuity database, guidelines, and internal resources associated with Varian's IP assets
- Maintains knowledge of Varian's patent portfolio and of competitors' patenting activities to provide strategic and tactical advice to the business
- Exercises and maintains authoritative technical knowledge of Varian technologies
- Develops and implements IP strategies for managing Varian innovations, intellectual property portfolios, and trade secrets for assigned technology area(s)
- Maintains an understanding of 3rd party patents relevant to Varian's businesses
- Critically reviews and evaluates Varian invention disclosures. Performs technical analysis of Varian's inventions
- Conducts, directs and evaluates patentability searches and freedom to operate analyses.
- Exercises knowledge of U.S. and foreign patent laws and procedures
- Critically reviews Varian's patent opinions, patent litigation briefs, etc. for technical accuracy.
- Initiates and maintains effective communications with researchers, engineers, business leaders and legal colleagues
- Leads, organizes and/or supports patent committee meetings to facilitate portfolio management
- Collects patent filing statistics and other department metrics to assess performance of IP Legal support
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, electrical engineering, physics or comparable scientific discipline
- 8 years of experience practicing patent prosecution in the complex data processing or electrical arts
- Admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction and the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
- Works well in a fast-paced, team environment