PetSmart, Inc. is currently seeking a Sr. Paralegal - Labor & Employment to join the Legal Department at our corporate office in Phoenix, Arizona. The Sr. Paralegal - L&E will primarily provide high-level paralegal support to two Sr. Counsel - Labor & Employment. The successful candidate will have a broad working knowledge and experience base in employment law, including a strong familiarity with wage and hour laws at both the federal and state level, and experience gathering data/documents, investigating, and working with outside counsel on litigation matters. The successful candidate will also have a proven track record managing multiple requests for assistance and projects, with demonstrated excellence in written and verbal communication, and a strong understanding of the importance of confidentiality and data integrity.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for drafting and issuing litigation holds, responding to administrative complaints, calendaring and docketing case deadlines, assisting attorneys with legal and factual research, and providing discovery support in all types of employment matters.
- Provides litigation support including collecting, organizing, and producing documents in response to all types of discovery requests, reviewing written responses to discovery requests, managing calendars, and maintaining matter files.
- Understands HR and field organizational structure and identifies key stakeholders in order to efficiently respond to client needs and discovery/document requests.
- Provides case management support, including monitoring and following up on case calendars and filing deadlines
- Researches and drafts position statements in response to administrative charges/complaints
- Assists with any advice and counsel provided on employment matters.
- Manages and assists in the resolution of labor and employment related issues.
- Communicates effectively with all levels of employees, witnesses, and outside counsel.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned by Senior Counsel – Labor & Employment.
- Maintains professional growth and development through seminars, workshops, and professional association to keep abreast of latest developments in applicable law and other related areas
- Bachelor's degree in paralegal studies, paralegal certificate OR the equivalent combination of formal education, training and or experience
- Requires 10+ years of paralegal experience
- Previous corporate law department experience and/or large law firm litigation experience is required
- Ability to professionally collaborate with all levels of management and C-level executives
- Demonstrate professionalism and skill working in a team environment and coordinating workloads
- Ability to multi-task and consistently meet aggressive and time-sensitive deadlines
- Proactive, highly organized, and detail-oriented
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills