Sr. Packaging Automation Engineer - 04847
Sr. Packaging Automation Engineer
- · Serve as the technical lead on Software Change Requests (SCR’s) and Automation projects for site Packaging areas as well as the Waste Water and Powerhouse areas. Responsible for assisting users in capturing their desired requirements, translating these into implementable Automation solutions, and delivering these on a timely basis.
- · Leverage a deep understanding of Allen-Bradley PLC/HMI platforms to maintain and enhance existing machine control code. Leverage programming skills and packaging line understanding to optimize control strategies. Implement code solutions as necessary to complete SCR’s and Automation projects that add value to the business.
- · Utilize Allen-Bradley expertise to optimize the site PLC/HMI network backbone, including architecture to best prepare the site for the future. Work towards centralizing all PLC/HMI data collection, including alarms, operator actions, and process data. Drive and execute on-going improvements to the site PLC network, including continued development and use of Allen-Bradley Asset Center for code version control and continued establishment of a Server-Client based HMI architecture and domain based user logins.
- · Develop and execute a replacement strategy for PLC/HMI platforms approaching obsolescence.
- · Create, modify, and maintain network architecture drawings and other system documentation for the site PLC Network. Develop standards for PLC/HMI hardware and software. Create/modify SOP’s and other work flow guidelines for the management and qualification of the PLC Network. Create and maintain a Master I/O List for the site PLC Network.
- · Act as the primary technical point of contact for outside resources assisting with SCR and Automation project work in areas of responsibility. Meet with Automation contractors as needed to ensure the technical work is progressing smoothly, following up on issues as needed. Ensure that contractor control strategy, organization, and presentation are consistent with MJN expectations for long term maintainability.
- · Support start-ups related to SCR and project changes in assigned areas. Train stakeholders as required to ensure a smooth transition. Also ensure that any contractors assisting with the work are following MJN procedures and policies.
- · Work with the area teams to address issues, including equipment downtime follow-up, prioritize work, and make sure customers are aware of Automation’s progress on changes. Build relationships and trust with stakeholders.
- · Work closely with the Packaging Automation Technician. Help direct the Technician’s SCR and project work based on priorities developed in conjunction with the Automation Department Manager and area teams.
- · Team with the Automation Technicians to ensure the health of the Automation systems. Proactively utilize system resources to maximize uptime and reliability of systems. Execute backups of applicable servers (such as Asset Center) per defined procedures. Author disaster recovery documents as applicable.
- · Utilize knowledge of Computer System Validation to create and execute Automation validation deliverables for SCR’s and projects for assigned areas. Assist with determining the criticality and risk of SCR’s and projects in order to develop a validation plan with appropriate deliverables. For outsourced projects, review and approve documents such as the Functional Specification, Design Specification, and associated Test Protocols. Assist in making sure project validation document delivery schedules are met.
- · Bachelor’s degree in Chemical, Electrical, or Mechanical Engineering preferred with 5-10+ years experience within an Infant Formula, Food, Nutrition, or Pharmaceutical company. Would also consider those with 15+ years experience in the Automation area in the same industries in lieu of a Bachelor’s degree.
- · Deep understanding and demonstrated configuration experience with Allen-Bradley PLC/HMI platforms, including the PLC-5, SLC, and ControlLogix families of PLC’s and the Panelview/Panelview Plus, ME, and SE families of HMI’s.
- · Demonstrated ability to configure FactoryTalk Directory Services.
- · Demonstrated ability to configure Asset Center.
- · Demonstrated ability to develop and publish reports using FactoryTalk Historian and FactoryTalk VantagePoint.
- · Demonstated experience architecting and installing/implementing an Allen-Bradley PLC/HMI network that includes a server/client relationship for HMI’s, domain based user logins, and centralized servers for alarms, operator actions, and process data.
- · Demonstrated ability to configure managed Ethernet switches.
- · Windows configuration knowledge is a plus.
- · SQL Server experience is a plus.
- · Demonstrated experience leading cross-functional teams including external vendors in the successful execution of Automation projects.
- · Ability to prioritize multiple tasks to meet or exceed deadlines and objectives. Ability to work in a fast paced and changing environment.
- · Previous experience working in an environment dealing with regulatory agencies.
- · Demonstrated ability to incorporate innovative concepts and technologies into viable Automation projects.
- · Understanding of financial principles, budgeting process, and resource allocation.
- · Excellent communication, leadership and influencing skills. Models MJN Core Behaviors. Able to effectively communicate detailed information to multiple levels of organization from Sr. Management to line operators.
- · Demonstrates initiative, ownership and accountability.