The Enterprise Self-Service Enablement team is currently seeking a Senior Business Intelligence Developer to serve as a concierge for our enterprise level, business facing reporting and analysis technologies. The team is responsible for modernizing, developing and supporting our reporting and analytical applications, consisting of Microsoft SQL Server Data Management and Business Intelligence tools (SSIS/SSRS/SSAS), Business Objects, Tableau, and SAS, as well as new self-service data tools for data cataloging and data preparation, used with the enterprise Hadoop Data Lake as well as enterprise relational database environments. This position will utilize a variety of platforms (Linux, Windows, VMWare) and technologies to support business solutions with enterprise partners. This candidate will have the opportunity to work with our information services and business partners to understand their needs and implement technical solutions, and provide best practices to streamline and improve our data reporting and analysis processes throughout the enterprise.
Essential Job Functions:
- Assist users in navigating our request processes and license management, and troubleshooting any issues associated with our reporting/analysis tools.
- Assist users of our tools by providing best practices, mentoring, and training for knowledge sharing and improvements.
- Foster strong relationships with IS teams that support our servers, desktops/laptops, and databases as extensions of our core team in service to our tool users.
- Performs analysis and design by translating business requirements and developing reporting solutions that yield relevant business information in a user-friendly format by collecting, analyzing and leveraging data. Ensures data accuracy. Relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Identifies and communicates the area-wide impact of interrelated activities.
- Provides support to customers by investigating, reviewing and analyzing data from multiple internal and external sources and understands the source structures and business relevance of the data within a broad range of the Strategic Business Unit(SBU). Designs, develops, implements and maintains business solutions for medium to large and/or complex projects.
- Performs development, maintenance and integration of applications and systems that support business operations, process improvement and reporting. Maintains knowledge of current tools, languages and approaches used to develop, test, maintain, and execute systems and applications. Ensures appropriate security and privacy measures are implemented to protect the Company data assets from accidental or intentional misuse.
- Analyzes and evaluates new and emerging business systems technologies, practices, and methodologies. Supports I/S teams with testing and implementation of new business systems tools, codes, and patches, and assist business customers throughout the conversion. Acts as liaison between I/S teams and business areas by trouble-shooting and translating technical problems related to business applications.
- Defines and contributes to data & data quality standards, controls, procedures, and documentation. Identifies areas for data quality improvement and help to resolve data quality problems through the appropriate choice of error detection and correction, process control and improvement, or process design strategies. Develops, documents, promulgates, and maintains data quality goals and standards. This may also include overseeing the organization's data policies. Recommends enhancements to the data acquisition processes to improve accuracy of the data warehouses.
- Performs data management functions to ensure data rules are being supported and properly maintained. Monitors compliance of information flows and data stores against data quality standards. Measures and reports to management on the progress of data quality improvement, documenting the return on investment associated with improving data quality. Provides data quality training and consulting services to others in the organization.
- Implements approved project plans and activities. Provides technical assistance and training to staff in project management, sales, reporting, I/T, I/S and workflow direction on medium to large projects.
- Develops and maintains current knowledge of SBU business areas, Mutual of Omaha practices, the insurance industry, and the business environment. Maintains and expands knowledge of application development technologies, methodologies, standards, and enterprise data sources and structures.
- Provides training and education to peers and customers within the SBU business areas on Business Intelligence tools and processes. Helps business partners in understanding the reporting tools to allow them to better access the data independently.
- Monitors recurring processes and ensures output accuracy and timely distribution. Responsible for maintenance, documentation, and enhancements of recurring processes and procedures. Supports business partners in understanding the reports and reporting tools to allow them to better access the data independently.
- Supports the completion of data submission for industry surveys, annual statements, and regulatory filings based on the requirements. Follows up on inconsistencies or issues, provides recommendations for resolution, and ensures timely adherence.
- May monitor accounting activities to ensure data accuracy and availability. Ensures required activities regarding reconciliation, journal and ledger balancing, internal balancing for financial systems, and MAR process/procedure documents are completed on an accurate and timely basis.
- This position requires sitting over 66% of the time.
- This position requires Visual Acuity at 20 inches (or less) over 66% of the time.
This job posting is reflective of the Sr Business Intelligence Developer essential functions, qualifications, and physical requirements. The Lead Business Intelligence Developer level has variable essential functions, qualifications and physical requirements. Competency and skill set will determine level of placement within the posted job family.
- 3-5 years of experience using or providing support for third party vendor data reporting/analysis toolsets
- Expert troubleshooting, problem solving, and analytical skills
- Strong consultative, analytical, conflict and strategic planning skills.
- Able to learn new technologies quickly
- Strong presentation skills
- Detail-oriented, capable of working independently and within a team
- Working knowledge of relational databases
- Considerable knowledge of Finance, Customer Services, Marketing, Sales domain and IT objectives and strategy. Considerable knowledge of project and process management and business systems requirements.
- Strong knowledge of technical environment (technologies, applications, projects and processes) in the functional business areas.
- Considerable knowledge of relational database administration, data consumption, and advanced data analysis. Familiar with technical and strategic data management.
- Experience in data validation and quality controls.
- Experience in business analysis and intelligence.
- Familiar with the concepts of data, network and enterprise security and risk management.
- Ability to research solutions and analyze data independently to provide recommendations.
- A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
- Experience supporting and using Microsoft SQL Server Data Management and Business Intelligence tools (SSIS/SSRS/SSAS)
- Training experience, with small and large groups
- Experience mentoring others in best practices for data reporting and analysis
- Third party vendor software administration and supportexperience
- Strong understanding of business functions and processes related to data usage
Job no: 495742