8 - 10 years
Posted 45 days ago
As an Engineering team member, Senior Opto-Mechanical Engineer will develop end-to-end opto-mechanical products and components for our rapidly growing FOG and photonics product lines. Working closely with our optics and electronics development and manufacturing teams, will participate in the entire project life cycle - requirements development, design iterations, analysis/simulations, testing, release, manufacturing, and product maintenance. You will help us define, develop, test, and implement solutions for our next generation products including interferometric lasers and detectors, modulators, polarizing optics, fiber optics, precision mechanics, and electronics. We are looking for individuals who thrive on making an impact to drive product development success and want the excitement of being on a team that wins.
Working relations: Product management, Engineering, Manufacturing, Suppliers, Customer service, and Quality teams.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Analyze opto-mechanical system requirements and leads design and development activities of fiber-coupled integrated opto-electronic devices and optical subsystems.
• Define, develop, and fabricate new solutions to ensure optimal design approach and required product performance during prototype development, as well as transition to volume production. Includes mechanical design principals to create tools and automated manufacturing solutions.
• Initiate and evaluate new design concepts and conduct design trade studies.
• Prepare product and component documentation, such as requirements, specifications, reports, design/assembly drawings.
• Prepare presentations suitable for the targeted audience of internal and external stakeholders.
• Serve as a subject matter expert for architectural frameworks, methods and tools.
• Create conceptual design by using modeling and simulation tools.
• Research and analyze pertinent market, partners, suppliers and applicable competitive products. Applies industry standard solutions and appropriate progressive technologies to the planning, design, development, and testing of mechanical and opto-mechanical systems, assemblies and components.
• Support tests and analysis of prototype units and mockups. Characterize solutions for optical stability, repeatability, and reliability through experiments and structured test plans.
• Troubleshoot technical opto-mechanical production problems and support product repair activities.
• Maintain productive working conditions and housekeeping; complies with required safety rules and procedures.
• Demonstrate knowledge of electro-magnetic theory, guided optics, polarization optics, diffraction optics, and working principles of active photonic chip devices, such as semiconductor lasers and integrated optical modulators.
• Experience taking concept from prototype to volume production in opto-mechanical designs. Prefer experience in one of more of the following: micro-packaged electro-optics or integrated photonic devices, alignment and assembly of micro-optic components, interferometric fiber optic devices.
• Experience in thermal and structural analyses through finite element analysis (FEA) as a function of changing environmental conditions.
• Knowledge of the interaction of material properties, device characteristics, and system performance.
• Have working knowledge of SolidWorks and optical design software such as Code V, Zemax, or FRED is desired.
• Demonstrate prior success in fast-paced, complex working environments.
• Adaptable team player with positive and energetic attitude, who knows how to collaborate across disciplines and working locations.
• Knowledgeable of low-cost Asian component suppliers and ability to work with those suppliers as contract manufacturers of developed system design.
• ITAR: Must be a US citizen or Permanent Resident to be considered.
• BS/MS STEM degree + 8 years hands-on experience with opto-electronics, opto-mechanical engineering, or optics.
• PhD + 5 years of hands-on experience is preferred.