Houston, TX or The Woodlands, TX - The Operations Analyst/Senior Analyst is responsible for analyzing, reporting, and executing changes in Talen’s Retail Operations group. The position ensures accuracy and timeliness of all order-to-cash processes, including enrollments, product set up, billing, invoicing, payment processing, and broker commissions by combining the technical and data focus of reporting with the responsibility to analyze and solve day-to-day operational challenges across PJM, ERCOT and NYISO. Examples include the solving of market transactional issues, management of customer adds, drops, and blend and extends, analysis of billing data, resolution and management of billing exceptions, escalated customer billing concerns, and changes in rates due to changes in law.
This role requires an extensive knowledge and understanding of retail electric operations, transactions, and data flows. The Analyst/Senior Analyst will act as a liaison among sales staff, support teams, third party vendors, utilities and brokers. This position is essential to the continued growth of Talen’s Retail capabilities. EOE M/F/D/V
- Perform daily operations tasks to ensure timeliness and accuracy of order-to-cash processes.
- Apply business judgement, knowledge and critical thinking to resolve exceptions, analyze errors and provide root cause analysis in an effort to implement systematic fixes.
- Interface with utilities third party vendor, and internal departments, as needed, to effectively trouble shoot and resolve any customer or billing data-related items.
- Create reports to support Operations and other teams within Talen Retail group.
- Resolve data discrepancies in operational systems.
- Report on customer changes and proactively work with Pricing, Sales and Operations teams to assess, communicate and collect early termination fees, along with any other fees and unpaid account balances.
- Develop and maintain current and new process documentation, training materials, customer facing correspondence and ad-hoc reports, as needed.
- Develop strategic data analysis and work with internal cross-functional teams and external vendors to implement process improvement and automation initiatives.
- Maintain and enhance working knowledge of market and PUC rules and regulations to ensure operational processes and its documentation adhere to the current requirements.
- Participate in on-going Operations projects.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by Retail Operations Manager/Director and Retail Leadership.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Accounting, Engineering or similar quantitative field or demonstrated experience and analytical aptitude.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in analytical or operational position, preferably within the energy industry and with prior exposure to retail electricity.
- Advanced skills with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access) and SQL database query development.
- Process-oriented, with the ability to improve business processes using data analysis, preferably in a quality, risk and control environment.
- Strong analytical skills, with the ability to obtain, analyze data, and reason through complex scenarios to recommend remediation, process improvement or automation efforts.
- Excellent communication skills, collaboration, critical thinking, and proactive attitude are a must in this important role.
- Must be able to create written documentation and training materials and deliver training and guidance to other Operations staff.
- Candidate must be extremely professional, punctual, dependable, detail-oriented, able to prioritize tasks, make decisions with minimal supervision and quickly communicate items across multiple teams and customers.
- Demonstrated track record of achievement.
- Previous retail energy experience, specifically, previous experience working in retail electric space serving customers in PJM, ERCOT and NYISO is highly desired.
- Knowledge of deregulated energy markets.
- Specific demonstrated skills in writing and customizing SQL queries and excel macros for reporting business data and automating processes.