The Manager II Purchasing Manager is part of the Raw Materials group, reporting to the Global Director. Purchasing Manager is a source of knowledge for assigned Region regarding products and suppliers, and is responsible for supporting category strategy development and implementation, and cost improvement/reductions for Resins & Plasticizers. Other responsibilities include optimizing supplier relationships while maximizing value and ensuring uninterrupted product flow.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and/or maintain an in-depth global market knowledge of assigned commodities/ supplier technologies, manufacturing processes, and related industries: including cost drivers, global execution, to leverage across multiple manufacturing locations, and to understand specific supply issues. Act as a resource to regional purchasing teams, and others, using that knowledge.
- Assist in development and implementation of global category strategies based on knowledge of regional markets, suppliers and plants
- Create cost saving opportunities through competitive bidding, negotiations to achieve / exceed savings targets and deliver on-time reporting
- Negotiate price, contract terms and conditions and draft contracts where necessary.
- Establish service levels and jointly work with relevant stakeholders to measure and monitor supplier's performance. Maintain and review supplier performance to ensure conformance to supplier management goals (cost, quality, service, delivery) Ensure timely resolution of all disputes.
- Develop and lead sourcing strategies for categories and deliver effective Requests for Proposals (RFP), as necessary.
- Provide guidance to R&D (technical and commercial) and Packaging Engineering Team regarding new industry trends and provide market intelligence.
- Lead the risk management and supply continuity programs for the category.
- Work with critical suppliers to improve current performance and develop new opportunities.
- Lead cross functional teams to successfully drive complex sourcing projects or VIPs.
- Apply appropriate competitive cost and process benchmarks, financial analysis and risk management techniques to solve complex issues.
- Develop strong, ethical relationships with World Class suppliers and ensure that activities surrounding dealing with suppliers are conducted under the auspices of good business practices and consistent with the Baxter Code of Ethics.
- Other duties as assigned
- 5-7 years experience in Procurement, Quality and/or Engineering.
- In-depth knowledge of Resin and Plasticizer categories.
- Bachelor's Degree required; MBA desirable.
- Purchasing or Supply Chain certification desirable.
- Experienced in Microsoft Office products such as Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and SharePoint.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, pro-active personality.
- Strong business process and strategic thinking.
- Sound financial skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively and engage senior management of current and potential suppliers.
- Ability to communicate in a professional way with internal stakeholders (senior management) to ensure the necessary buy-in for the sourcing/savings projects.
- Ability to engage and support key stakeholders throughout the PSM process.
- Good oral, written communications and presentation skills.
- Competent in project management role – able to handle multiple project simultaneously.
- Knowledge of six sigma / black belt methodologies is desirable.
- Multi-cultural knowledge.
- English language speaking – knowledge of any other European language is an asset