•Under the guidance of the MSL Lead or Country Medical Lead (CML), the Medical Science Liaison (MSL) drives the implementation of the Country medical affairs plans related primarily to KOL engagement and data dissemination.
•In a compliant manner, the MSL systematically identifies the needs of KOLs, investigators and other stakeholders in patient care, establishes strong professional relationships, provides credible scientific expertise and serves as a link to Shire Global Medical, Global Clinical and external partners.
•The MSL serves as a field-based extension of the country Therapeutic Area team.
•Externally focused, Health Care Professional (HCP) related activities are expected to comprise at least 80%of MSL responsibilities.
•The MSL maintains personal expertise in relevant disease areas and MSL best practices that can be applied externally and internally.
- Under the guidance of the MSL Lead or Country Medical Lead (CML), the Medical Science Liaison (MSL) drives the implementation of the Country medical affairs plans related primarily to KOL engagement and data dissemination.
- In a compliant manner, the MSL systematically identifies the needs of KOLs, investigators and other stakeholders in patient care, establishes strong professional relationships, provides credible scientific expertise and serves as a link to Shire Global Medical, Global Clinical and external partners.
- The MSL serves as a field-based extension of the country Therapeutic Area team.
- Externally focused, Health Care Professional (HCP) related activities are expected to comprise at least 80%of MSL responsibilities.
- The MSL maintains personal expertise in relevant disease areas and MSL best practices that can be applied externally and internally.
% of Time
Job Function and Description
KOL Engagement :
- Through compliant scientific exchange, builds and maintains professional relationships with external stakeholders to expand Shire’s research, advisory and educational partnership opportunities
- Ensure high standard of professionalism to develop and maintain “peer-to-peer” scientific relationships with key thought leaders in healthcare, academia, payer, and government organizations per strategic territory plans and as requested by KOLs, including the management of strategic scientific partnerships and scientific exchange
- Provide scientific liaison support to Investigators currently involved in the Shire’s Company sponsored interventional or observational studies and investigator initiated research
- Serve as a liaison between healthcare practitioners (HCPs) and Shire medical affairs
- Facilitate 1:1 and group scientific interactions with healthcare professionals
- Participate in KOL engagement planning
- Maintain KOL plans and update medical customer relationship management system in a timely, accurate, and compliant manner
- Contribute to compliant data dissemination according to country medical affairs plan.
- Ensure scientific exchange with HCPs by fostering fair and balanced medical and scientific communications that are not misleading
- Present clinical and disease state information to a variety of audiences (KOLs, HCPs, hospital/decision making teams, etc.) upon requests and/or according to country medical plans
- Support data dissemination at congresses in according to plans
- May be involved in responding, within defined timelines and quality standards, to unsolicited inquiries from HCPs and other stakeholders received by Global Medical Affairs and referred to GMA by other Shire functions; forwards reports of adverse events according to Shire’s policy
- Conduct therapeutic training for Sales and Medical colleagues upon request (less than 10% of all MSL activities)
- Other as directed by manager
Medical leadership and strategic planning
- Communicate key medical insights from KOLs/HCPs to inform refinement of medical strategies or tactics
- Provide scientific input and participate in local medical and cross-functional initiatives
- Provide field-based medical support to Shire’s clinical research programs, registries, and facilitation of the investigator initiated research process.
- Participates on internal project teams as directed by Manager
Knowledge, expertise and insights management
- Maintain awareness of and access to internal and external information sources available to support high-quality scientific exchange with HCP
- Develop/increase knowledge of medical literature and critical appraisal of scientific publications
- Maintain knowledge base and scientific expertise on all assigned Shire disease areas and products
- Maintaining personal expertise in MSL best practices.
- Develop and update knowledge of applicable pharmaceutical guidelines and regulations. Code of Ethical Practices and company policies
- Gain customer insights, opinions and feedback and shareinternally
Education and Experience Requirements
- A doctoral degree in life sciences (MD, PharmD or PhD or equivalent) is preferred; a Master’s degree in life sciences (MSN, PA-C, etc) is the minimum requirement
- A minimum of 2years of experience as a field based MSL is required
- Experience in quickly developing a network of relationships with internal and external stakeholders, particularly KOLs, to achieve business objectives
- Experience in delivering oral presentations within the healthcare profession to both large and small audiences
- Experience in leading project teams delivering strategic results for internal stakeholders
Key Skills, Capabilities, and Competencies
- Scientific Knowledge: Having and developing the required disease and Shire product expertise
- Stakeholder Engagement: Ability to identify, profile, and engage with internal/external stakeholders, and create appropriate solutions to meet their needs
- Medical Affairs Role expertise: Ability to execute core processes within legal, regulatory, and compliance requirements and demonstrate depth of knowledge and expertise in technical areas/systems related to role
- Business Acumen: Ability to articulate business operations with the organization’s external environment, and how Medical Affairs practices contribute to core business functions
- Communication: Ability to share ideas, listen, exchange information
- Strategic Thinking: Ability to define how to move from current-state to desired- state, through the formulation of objectives and priorities—consistent with the long-term interests of the organization
- Organizational Awareness: Ability to define and communicate the MSL role internally and externally
- Learning Orientation: Ability to integrate new ideas, information and approaches, and adapt/thrive in the face of change
- Leadership Behaviors: Able to exemplify Shire’s corporate leadership behaviors
- Be Positive
- Be Accountable
- Be Results Oriented
- Be an Excellent Manager of Self and Others
- Focus on HCP and patient needs
- Ability to work effectively in virtual and multi-disciplinary teams
- Highly motivated and self-directed with ability to think innovatively & strategically, skillfully plan, manage and prioritize multiple projects independently; demonstrates resilience and flexibility
- Above average computer skills (MS Office, databases, etc)
Complexity and Problem Solving
- Appropriate identification, assessment, and development of relationships with KOLs
- External stakeholder management and conflict resolution
- Individual activity plan development overseen by Manager
- Appropriate assessment and allocation of available resources
Internal and External Contacts
- Position is accountable to the [MSL Region or Team Lead]
- Internal Collaboration: Global Medical Affairs, R&D, Commercial, Compliance, Legal, HR
- External: Key opinion leaders, HCPs, patient advocacy groups, regional policy makers, etc.
Other Job Requirements
- Frequent travel is required. Availability to travel up to 70% of time
- Availability to attend meetings on holidays and weekends
- Clean and valid driver’s license
- Fluent in English and local territory language are both mandatory
Req ID: R0018407