- Under the guidance of the MSL Lead or Country Medical Lead (CML), the Medical Science Liaison (MSL) drives the implementation of the Country medical affairs plans related primarily to KOL engagement and data dissemination.
- In a compliant manner, the MSL systematically identifies the needs of KOLs, investigators and other stakeholders in patient care, establishes strong professional relationships, provides credible scientific expertise and serves as a link to Shire Global Medical, Global Clinical and external partners.
- The MSL serves as a field-based extension of the country Therapeutic Area team.
- Externally focused, Health Care Professional (HCP) related activities are expected to comprise at least 80%of MSL responsibilities.
- The MSL maintains personal expertise in relevant disease areas and MSL best practices that can be applied externally and internally.
KOL Engagement :
- Through compliant scientific exchange, builds and maintains professional relationships with external stakeholders to expand Shire’s research, advisory and educational partnership opportunities
- Ensure high standard of professionalism to develop and maintain “peer-to-peer” scientific relationships with key thought leaders in healthcare, academia, payer, and government organizations per strategic territory plans and as requested by KOLs, including the management of strategic scientific partnerships and scientific exchange
- Provide scientific liaison support to Investigators currently involved in the Shire’s Company sponsored interventional or observational studies and investigator initiated research
- Serve as a liaison between healthcare practitioners (HCPs) and Shire medical affairs
- Facilitate 1:1 and group scientific interactions with healthcare professionals
- Participate in KOL engagement planning
- Maintain KOL plans and update medical customer relationship management system in a timely, accurate, and compliant manner
- Contribute to effective and compliant data dissemination according to country medical affairs plan.
- Ensure appropriate scientific exchange with HCPs by fostering fair and balanced medical and scientific communications that are not misleading
- Present clinical and disease state information to a variety of audiences (KOLs, HCPs, hospital/decision making teams, etc.) upon requests and/or according to country medical plans
- Support data dissemination at congresses in according to plans
- May be involved in responding, within defined timelines and quality standards, to unsolicited inquiries from HCPs and other stakeholders received by Global Medical Affairs and referred to GMA by other Shire functions; forwards reports of adverse events according to Shire’s policy
- Conduct therapeutic training for Sales and Medical colleagues upon request (less than 10% of all MSL activities)
- Other as directed by manager
Medical leadership and strategic planning
- Communicate key medical insights from KOLs/HCPs to inform refinement of medical strategies or tactics
- Provide scientific input and participate in local medical and cross-functional initiatives
- Provide field-based medical support to Shire’s clinical research programs, registries, and facilitation of the investigator initiated research process.
- Participates on internal project teams as directed by Manager
Knowledge, expertise and insights management
- Maintain awareness of and access to internal and external information sources available to support high-quality scientific exchange with HCP
- Develop/increase knowledge of medical literature and critical appraisal of scientific publications
- Maintain knowledge base and scientific expertise on all assigned Shire disease areas and products
- Maintaining personal expertise in MSL best practices.
- Develop and update knowledge of applicable pharmaceutical guidelines and regulations. Code of Ethical Practices and company policies
- Gain customer insights, opinions and feedback and shareinternally
Education, Skills, and Experience
- An advanced degree in life sciences (MD, PharmD or PhD or equivalent) is required
- Has an established track record of effective and influential oral presentations within the healthcare profession
- Require minimum 2years of experience as a field MSL
- Demonstrative therapeutic experience/research or substantive patient careexperience is required (2years minimum)
- Medical, clinical or research experience in the assigned disease area is preferred
- Demonstration of expertise in key skills, capabilities and competencies
Req ID: R0020662