The Medical Science Liaison/Sr. Medical Science Liaison (MSL/Sr. MSL) is part of a regionally focused therapeutic area MSL team, who reports into the Regional Director MSL– East. The focus of this role is field-based scientific exchange (SE), for which the MSL/Sr. MSL will leverage their scientific background, industry knowledge, and business acumen to act as a scientific resource to Scientific Experts (SCEs), while gathering insights that inform Scientific Objectives and strategic decision-making by Medical Affairs. Within their territory, MSL/Sr. MSLs are responsible for establishing, cultivating, and maintaining relationships with SCEs.
The MSL/Sr. MSL is a collaborative member of the field- based team, who is expected to communicate seamlessly with other members of the field-based organization. In this role, you will contribute to the discovery, development and delivery of our products to our patients and customers. Our global presence provides opportunity for all employees to collaborate internationally, offering visibility and opportunity to directly contribute to the company’s success.
Position is field-based with over 50% required travel to manage assigned geography. Easy access to large hub airport desired. States aligned with territories may change based on company priorities. Ability to use field-based electronic or other communication tools for all aspects of job. Candidate must live within the territory; no relocation assistance will be offered for this position.
Specific Responsibilities/Customer Interactions and Scientific Exchange:
*Candidates must have previous MSL experience and a PharmD or PhD*
- The principal effort of the MSL/Sr. MSL will be focused on planning, preparing for, and conducting field based interactions and scientific exchange in support of the TA Scientific Objectives (SOs). Specific aspects of the role include:
- Conduct scientific exchange with SCEs to support Palforzia and other SOs; as guided by tactical medical engagement plan
- Establish and maintain scientific relationships with SCEs, while developing a strong understanding of territory specific healthcare systems and clinical practices related to patient care, disease management, treatment protocols, and research interests
- Act as a scientific resource to SCEs and HCPs to reactively answer specific questions on TA, disease state topics, Palforzia and Aimmune’s compounds through scientific exchange
- Provide disease state education on topics related to TA Scientific Objectives
- Act as a scientific resource to Scientific Experts at payer accounts and integrated delivery networks when requested
- The MSL/Sr. MSL collaborates with the field based medical team, appropriate Commercial personnel, and the broader organization – in a seamless and efficient manner. Specific aspects include:
- Collaborate within the TA MSL Team, on all aspects of planning, execution, sharing of best practices, and insight generation related discussion in order to understand the breadth of insights, potential impact, and to stimulate scientific exploration
- Collaborate to provide field based scientific expertise for key accounts, as required
- Learn about new and evolving customers and the changing medical needs of such customers
- Collaborate with Commercial personnel to provide scientific support for internal and external activities where there is a defined and appropriate scientific role
- Collaborate with the broader Medicine organization to provide scientific support and communicate scientific insights
Planning and Support:
- Develop a tactical customer-centric medical engagement plan for your geography and provide internal and external scientific support. Specific aspects of the role include:
- Develop a territory specific medical engagement plan for scientific exchange with prioritized SCEs, which supports the TA Scientific Objectives (SOs)
- Identify and communicate challenging gaps between Aimmune and customer expectations, needs, and priorities
- Develop scientific materials to support scientific exchange, as directed by MSL Team Lead
- Maintain regular communication with the regional TA MSL Team, to review ongoing activities and insights, share best practices, and communicate learnings
- Interact with current Aimmune study investigators to maintain site engagement and address any unsolicited trial related questions, and with potential study investigators to discuss potential Aimmune study concepts or protocols, as requested
- Facilitate logistical communications between Aimmune and HCPs regarding Investigator Initiated Studies (IIS), External Collaborative Research, and company study contracts, as requested
- Provide additional scientific support for Medicine and Scientific Affairs activities
- Insight Generation and Reporting:
- Identify, document, discuss, and communicate scientific insights as guided by the TA Scientific Objectives. Specific aspects include:
- Document field generated scientific insights within appropriate system(s), and communicate to appropriate internal stakeholders, as required
- Participate in the discussion of scientific insights gathered by the TA MSL team, in order to understand the breadth of insights, potential impact, and to stimulate scientific exploration, as directed by management to support communication of scientific insights across the Medical and Commercial organizations
- Identify and communicate operational understanding of healthcare systems with field based Aimmune team members, including changes in the healthcare landscape and trends impacting delivery within the territory (i.e. new stakeholders impacting the delivery of or access to care)
- Assist with scientific insight analysis efforts by reviewing and collating individual reports across the TA team
- MSL candidates should have 5+ years of direct and relevant therapeutic experience or related clinical experience; Sr. MSL candidates should have 8+ years
- Advance science degree (PharmD, M.D., DO, Ph.D., DNP) Required.
- Proven success in an MSL role required and , experience in allergy, asthma, immunology preferred
- Knowledge of regional specific healthcare systems and clinical practices related to patient care
- 2 years of experience in supporting managed care organizations
- Strong communication and relationship development skills
- Able to readily interpret scientific data, understand the potential impact of data on clinical approaches and research needs, and communicate scientific data to broad audiences
About Aimmune Therapeutics, Inc.
Aimmune Therapeutics, Inc., a Nestlé Health Science Company, is a biopharmaceutical company developing and commercializing treatments for potentially life-threatening food allergies. The Company’s Characterized Oral Desensitization ImmunoTherapy (CODIT™) approach is intended to provide meaningful levels of protection against allergic reactions resulting from accidental exposure to food allergens by desensitizing patients with defined, precise amounts of key allergens. Aimmune has one FDA-approved medicine for peanut allergy and other investigational therapies in development to treat other food allergies.