- Looks for ways to improve engineering design and design processes in a particular discipline.
- Able to guide the development of Revit tools to improve productivity.
- Development of typical details, specifications, and drawing standards, including development of Revit standards in coordination with the BIM team.
- Keeping abreast of industry and technology changes and trends, and recommend changes in approach and services as appropriate.
- Improvement of analytic processes and documentation, common solutions, and critical solutions.
- Fosters a commitment to external and internal client service.
- Majority of time devoted to the engineering of projects, particularly large or complex projects.
- Engineering shall include responsibility for the project engineering of large projects from concept and schematic design through construction documents to construction and commissioning.
- Provide design inputs and reviews of other engineer’s projects.
- Attend meetings with clients and promote positive client contact with current or prospective clients.
- Participate as a team member, contributing ideas and possible solutions, and leading on issues where appropriate.
- Perform site visit surveys to determine engineering strategies for renovation, and to document and evaluate existing systems.
- Visit project sites during construction for reviews of quality, progress, and compliance with specifications and standards.
- Project reviews at all stages of design
- Responsible for the quality and timely delivery of the projects to budget.
- Mentoring of engineering staff on projects.
Performance measured on project results
- Efficiency and profitability of the Engineering Discipline in that office or region and its contributions to firm-wide success.
- Quality of design solutions, as measured by level of integration, unique solutions, achieving high sustainability goals, and recognition by peers as excellence.
- The quality of work produced, as measured by completeness of design, absence of change orders and client satisfaction.
- Cohesiveness of the discipline team, as evidenced by ease and amount of work share, consistency of quality and delivery tools and standards, including drawings and specifications, and team communication.
- Client repeat business.
- Contributions to bringing in new work.
- Ability to engineer and deliver projects over $100m.
- Ability to collaborate with multiple practices across HOK’s organization.
- Must be able to communicate clearly both verbally and in written form, with an understanding of industry communication protocols.
- Must be able to inspire owners and designers
- Set, monitor and deliver to budgets.
- Project team leadership skills.
- Strong project management skills.
- Strong multi-disciplinary project team leadership
- Ability to teach and mentor others.
- Able to work creatively to reach solutions to complex problems.
- Expert in current sustainable technologies applicable to the particular engineering discipline.
- Proficient with Revit and AutoCAD.
- Natural ventilation design is a plus.
- Bachelors of Science in engineering degree, Master’s degree preferred.
- Licensed PE
- NCEES record allowing registration in any state.
- LEED credential required within 6 months of employment.
- Expert at all aspects of their discipline, including a track record of recent successful major projects over $100m, and one major project over $250m.
- 10 years project engineering experience, from concept to opening, with completed high profile projects included in the mix.
- Experience in leading or working in integrated teams.
- Experience in design and delivery of LEED Gold or Platinum projects.
- Experience with architecturally significant buildings
- Experience with potential project types in commercial, corporate, institutional and civic, justice, aviation, and healthcare sectors.
- Engineering design and analysis of mechanical air and piping systems for large complex buildings.
- Experience with large central plants and a variety of chiller and boiler types and configurations.
- Experience with controls.
- Experience with complex analysis tools and energy modeling for mechanical design.
- Experience in calculating, sizing, and specifying complex mechanical systems and mechanical equipment including AHU’s, pumps, and fans.
- Experience with heat gain calculations for spaces for energy modeling and detailed engineering of mechanical systems for a variety of uses.
- Experience with engineering of chilled beam systems, radiant systems, micro-climates, and under floor air systems.
- Experience with specification editing for project specific requirements.
- Experience with construction administration and commissioning phases, particularly problem analysis and solutions, on both large and small jobs.
- Experience with Thermal Comfort Modeling is a plus.