GTS Breakthrough Innovation
The GTS Breakthrough Innovation (BI) team is seeking a Senior Mechanical Engineer who is experienced with innovation, has an entrepreneurial mindset, and has a broad and highly developed technical aptitude. The BI team is a skunkworks group that operates off-site and outside of the normal business operations. The team is responsible for delivering transformative innovations that can be commercialized for an impact of greater than $100M. The fast-paced work is rewarding and covers the range of power tools, pneumatics, hand tools, outdoor equipment and more.
The BI team operates using principled methodology called the Agile Innovation Model (AIM). AIM prioritizes breakthrough ideas early through brutal rationalization, quick prototyping for concept communication, and strong emphasis on the voice of the customer. After the idea has been vetted for its technical and commercial opportunity, the team builds refined prototypes that will solidify the technical feasibility, provide for an in-depth round of user research, and be the basis to transition the program to the development teams.
The role will be responsible for…
- Being a principle contributor for breakthrough ideas. Successful breakthrough ideas require high level systems and big picture thinking so that we generate and pursue the right ideas to hit our ambitious metrics.
- Taking total ownership of programs with an entrepreneurial mindset. At every step of the process, the role requires that you take the best action for the program; be it technical development, finding strategic partners, conducting consumer insights, building prototypes, or forming a business case.
- Building working physical prototypes. The team intentionally operates lean and everyone is expected touch all phases of development, which for this role will engineering design, 3D CAD, fabrication of proof of concept prototypes, managing contributors to a schedule, and testing of prototypes. The team liberally uses external resources to fill in for talent gaps and where there is excess workload.
- Engaging often with the customer. Paramount to the AIM process is the voice of the customer. It is important that the role drive user research and work with the team's consumer insights lead for many customer touch points.
- Presenting to executive leadership to pitch the program for funding and transition to the development teams or to start a new business unit. These pitches for funding require a high level of salesmanship and understanding of the factors important for commercial success.
Essential knowledge, skills, and experience includes…
- A breadth of electro-mechanical and mechanical systems knowledge touching the areas of power electronics, motors, control systems, dynamics, and kinematics.
- Complex and detailed 3D CAD design of parts and assemblies.
- The ability to take project through the entire prototype process: idea, design, build, and testing.
- Personal or professional familiarity with power tools and outdoor equipment.
- Familiarity with some variety of fabrication skills; e.g. metalworking, welding, woodworking.
- Project management to meet aggressive schedules and make effective decisions
- Experience with consumer facing product development from idea to mass production.
- High level presentation and salesmanship skills.
Education and experience should meet a minimum of…
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering
- 5 years of experience in the professional practice of engineering
Other details about the team and expectations…
- We operate in an off-campus laboratory in Towson MD, just north of Baltimore.
- We have flexible hours. There will be periods where there are extraordinary demands on your time due to project deadlines, but these are offset by later reprieves and rewards.
- There is minimal domestic travel to visit users, conferences, trade shows, etc.
- A relocation package may be offered to a qualified candidate.