Sparton (SPA) is a publicly traded leading contract design and manufacturing company with a specialization in electronic and electro-mechanical assemblies. Our customers include, Military, Medical, Biotechnology and Aerospace companies that are highly regulated with specialized needs.
Basic Purpose of Position: Demonstrates extensive knowledge and understanding of mechanical engineering principles, concepts, and practices. Responsibilities may include, design, development and test of complex mechanical engineering designs. Work closely with other engineering and functional areas to obtain optimum utilization of resources.
Primary or Major Responsibilities:
- Use Sparton policies and procedures to complete work assignments.
- Create 2D and 3D mechanical CAD drawings of components sub-assemblies and systems.
- Responsible for mechanical design, analysis and test of complex work product, systems or processes.
- Support designs with analysis and calculations including tolerancing, stress, mechanics and dynamics.
- Design die-cast, injection molded, and stamped parts.
- Design, analyze, test, or evaluate new hardware, components, products, systems, or processes.
- Proactively drive improvement in process design, layout, and operational performance.
- Apply failure analysis and root cause analysis as required within the engineering discipline.
- Provide support for product process and system issues; provide recommendation for enhancements and cost reductions; initiate ECN’s; and formulate cost impacts.
- Keep accurate and complete records of engineering activities.
- May act as project lead including organizing, execution, and coordinating technical assignments.
- Evaluate materials and systems, identify equipment, or prepare work instructions for manufacturing.
- Provide training and/or direction to other engineers, technicians or manufacturing operators.
- Provide input to bid and proposal activities.
- Provide communications and/or presentations to customers, suppliers or vendors.
- Travel and participation in product field tests.
- All other duties as assigned.
Ensure that all assignments are performed in compliance with applicable Federal, State, Provincial and Company safety and health regulations, and where applicable, utilize proper personal protective equipment.
- Minimum BSME; MSME a plus.
- 8-10 years hands-on experience in electro-mechanical and fluidic medical system designs and requirements, particularly IEC 60601.
- Must have experience with advanced regulatory, quality system, and/or engineering design requirements.
- Advanced CAD/3D modeling skills, especially knowledge of SolidWorks; detailed understanding of dimensioning and tolerancing; knowledge of properties and applications of common materials and materials processing.
- Sound understanding of structural, thermal and fluidic systems.
- Experience designing machined and sheet metal parts, plastic parts to be tooled, and metal parts to be cast.
- Ability to use FEA to analyze structural or thermal aspects of a design.
- Ability to support/perform mechanical design reviews.
- Ability to take responsibility for a complete subassembly, including cost considerations.
- High degree of engineering problem solving skills with ability to work with and mentor a contractor, or entry level Engineer /Engineer.
- Ability to understand schedule and budget implications to a project.
- Medical device/instrument design experience.
- Ability to work independently with minimal oversight.
- Prefer knowledge of, and experience with motion systems, robotics, medical tubing systems, and/or catheter design and manufacturing.
- Familiarity with ISO and GMP.
- Contract management, Project management and/or Enterprise Resources Planning software experience; intermediate proficiency level with word processing, spreadsheets, Internet software, and e-mail skills.