In conjunction with Laser Scientists and RF Engineers, Design and develop CO2 lasers and laser components. The Senior Mechanical Engineer will be a leader for the work as part of a multi-disciplinary team to develop high quality, high precision, lasers and optical systems for demanding applications. Perform or participate in mechanical engineering activities including CAD modeling and design, structural analysis, thermal analysis, material and component selection, design reviews, functional and verification testing, and collaborate with team members on various projects.
- Lead and interface with teams of RF Engineers, Electronics Engineers and Laser Scientists on projects to develop new CO2 lasers to meet market requirements for high quality, high reliability lasers for demanding applications.
- Design and conduct research as needed, apply principles of heat transfer, solid mechanics, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, and materials engineering to the development of lasers.
- Lead general projects or product development projects and/or take leadership roles within project development teams.
- Coordinate BOMs, understand manufacturing processes such as Lead manufacturing processes, quality systems
- Have thorough understanding of manufacturing fabrication processes (milling, turning, sheet metal fabrication, plating, etc.) for mechanical components. Knowledge of optical components is a plus.
- Manage a team of machinists who prototype parts for R&D (mainly) and production. Manage, plan and prioritize the workshop jobs for NPI and other projects.
- Ensure system and product quality and reliability by using knowledge of mechanical testing methods e.g. vibration/shock testing, and developing custom testing methods and analysis for degradation and life testing (HALT, ESS) of lasers and laser components.
- Prepare product reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing design and testing information and trends.
- Participate and provide feedback in Design Reviews during Product Development Process.
- Collaborate with Project Management and R&D Leadership in the development of project scope, schedule and budget estimates.
- Complete projects to meet time-to-market requirements and contribute to team effort by accomplishing tasks as needed.
- Support manufacturing where required in either problem solving and/or general support.
Required Experience, Education, Skills and Competencies
- Education: Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Master’s degree a plus.
- Experience: Minimum 5 years of experience in fast-paced industrial, market driven environment.
- 5 years of experience in high precision mechanical devices and/or design of cooling solutions of high power electronics. Experience with optical or opto-mechanical systems, vacuum technology highly preferred.
- > 5 years of experience with Solid-works, and Finite Element Analysis (for mechanical and thermal systems). Flow simulation preferred.
- Knowledge of all forms of metal fabrication, processing and materials, but particularly aluminum.
- Knowledgeable about manufacturing processes and methods including flow, layout, assembly and production equipment. Lean or Six Sigma training a plus.
- Ability to lead complex troubleshooting in response to unexpected failures. Experience with 8D Problem Solving a plus.
- Experience in DFx, e.g. Design for Manufacturing, for Cost (in particular), for Reliability, for Performance etc.
- Experience in DFMEA and PFMEA development.
- Experience with Gas Lasers and vacuum technology a plus.
- Experience of or ability to use machine shop equipment/tools (lathe, CNC machines etc) a plus.
- Demonstrated results in product development. Experience with project management is a requirement.
- Additional software knowledge e.g. Mathcad, Matlab, ANSYS, COMSOS, etc. is a plus.
- Sit and Stand while performing duties.
- Able to lift up to 30 lbs.