nLIGHT is searching for a Sr Mechanical Engineer to work within a multidisciplinary team to design and document opto-mechanical laser components, assembly tooling and production equipment.
- Adapt established and innovative low-cost manufacturing concepts to laser product designs
- Devise, design and build robust tooling and process equipment suitable for reliable high-volume manufacturing
- Define user interfaces and overall system layouts
- Execute verification test protocols that include environmental and accelerated life testing
- Oversee the procurement of engineering and prototype parts
- Thermal and mechanical stress modeling for high precision opto-mechanical assemblies.
- Minimum of BS degree in mechanical engineering.
- Experience with low cost, high quality manufacturing techniques. Ideal candidates will have a history of adapting technologies from other industries to influence new designs.
- Strong ability to conduct engineering analyses including heat transfer, thermal modeling, stress/strain behavior and materials selection
- Demonstrated experience with both machinery and product design
- Detailed understanding of machining tools, methods and capabilities
- Knowledge of Mil-Spec guidelines and testing for product design
- Knowledge of industry fabrication methods including platings, cooling, hermeticity.
- Demonstrated experience of introducing products from prototype to volume manufacturing.
Exceptional candidates will have:
- 5 years of development experience with high-power laser and optical assemblies.
- Detailed understanding of precision opto-mechanical design and fine mechanisms
- Experience with low outgassing adhesives and similar joining methods used in optical modules.
- Proficiency with Solidworks and engineering drawing practices including tolerance analysis and working understanding of GD&T
- Candidate shall be highly organized and detail-oriented with clear and professional written and oral communication skills
- Experienced with New Product Introduction (NPI) and product qualification practices.