As part of the Biologics R&D team, the Sr. Mechanical Engineer will have an exciting opportunity to develop cutting edge analytic instrumentation used in drug discovery and characterization. This is a technical-lead role dedicated to the scoping, development, and implementation of design solutions to meet customer needs. The successful candidate will participate in mechanical design and verification activities. Interaction with cross functional team members is critical and will include Sales, Marketing, Service, and Operations. The ideal candidate will have a passion for innovation and a consistent record of developing practical solutions.
- Design of mechanical and electromechanical components and assemblies using Solidworks.
- Create drawings and hardware specification documents.
- Generate workflow and process instructions.
- Analyze the tolerance (GD&T) of mechanical components and assemblies.
- Work with cross-functional teams to identify gaps in product offerings.
- Translate project requirements and customer needs into design concepts
- Perform static and dynamic mechanics analysis, stress simulations, and flow studies.
- Work with suppliers on the fabrication of prototype and final parts (machined components, sheet metal components, automation systems, test fixtures, manufacturing fixtures, and molded components).
- Coordinate designs with other key functions including Assay, Optical, Electrical, and Systems Engineering.
- Perform system build, testing, and mechanical debug
- Create and present technical presentations
- Attend customer / site visits and some offsite meetings (up to ~10% travel)
- Extensive experience in the design of complex mechanical and electromechanical systems. Experience with optics, fluidics, and industrial design is a plus.
- Proven, hands-on mechanical aptitude.
- Excellent mechanical troubleshooting skills.
- Experience with instrumentation used in the Life Sciences.
- Demonstrate strong attention to detail.
- Strong preference for candidates with previous experience in regulated industries (medical, industrial, automotive, etc) and product verification and validation.
- 7+ years of direct mechanical engineering experience.
- Bachelor's degree or above in Mechanical Engineering.
Skills and Attributes
- Ability to model and analyze designs in Solidworks
- Understands basic thermal dynamics, fluid dynamics, and stress analysis.
- Familiarity with various ideation methodologies and design for manufacturing principles.
- Ability to author and present design concepts to engineering, marketing, scientist, and management.
- Works effectively in both a cross-functional team environment and independently.