The California Independent System Operator (ISO) manages the flow of electricity across the high-voltage, long-distance power lines that make up 80 percent of California's power grid. We safeguard the economy and well-being of 30 million Californians by operating the grid reliabily 24/7.
As the impartial grid operator, the California ISO opens access to the wholesale power market that is designed to diversify resources and lower prices. It also grants equal access to 25,865 circuit-miles of power lines and reduces barriers to diverse resources competing to bring power to customers.
The California ISO's function is often compared to that of air traffic controllers. It would be grossly unfair for air traffic controllers to represent one airline and profit from allowing that company's planes to go through before others. In the same way, the California ISO operates independently—managing the electron traffic on a power grid we do not own—making sure electricity is safely delivered to utilities and consumers on time and reliably.
Under the general direction of the Manager, a Sr Business Implementation Analyst provides technical expertise related to electricity market applications, and power systems operations. Supports processes and activities required for accurate and timely publication of settlement statements and invoices including verification and correction of market transactional data, ensuring complete and accurate calculation of energy accounting, and commitment cost determination.
What's In it for You
Our purpose is to lead the way to tomorrow's energy network. Make a difference and impact millions of people who depend on electricity in their everyday lives.
- You get to work on interesting and challenging assignments that will help grow your skill set.
- You will work in an extremely collaborative environment inside our LEED certified Folsom, California campus.
- You will be challenged, be a part of a winning team, and your contributions will be rewarded and recognized.
What You Will Be Doing
- Applies technical expertise related to energy market results, calculation of expected energy, and commitment cost determination.
- Interprets and validates settlements results based upon market behaviors, system conditions, and resource characteristics.
- Create business documentation as needed to support analysis.
- Develops metrics and tools to perform data analysis.
- Author’s gathers data using query logic in SQL, develops business rules and logic in analytics software such as SAS or R, and produces summary results for review.
- Identify root causes of data anomalies including market, operations, and scheduling data. Participate in cross-departmental efforts to resolve software and process issues.
- Reviews policies, procedures, and processes for upcoming market changes and assess impact to business processes; develop implementation plan for impacted processes.
- Translates business requirements into energy market charge code formulas.
- Perform user-acceptance testing for new business processes or system changes to promote quality implementations.
- Adhering to ISO Tariff, BPMs, and audit standards, support settlement production activities for validation and correction of market transactional data ensuring timely and accurate settlement.
- Identifies and implements process improvements for efficiency gains, increased accuracy, control compliance, and error detection.
Level of Education and Discipline
- A Bachelor's degree (BA, BS) or equivalent education, training or experience in Business, Accounting, Finance, Economics, Management of Information Systems, or related technical field.
Amount of Experience
- Equivalent years of education and training, plus five (5) or more years related experience.
Type of Experience
- A combination of experience in any of the following disciplines required: utility/power industry, preferably in a similar ISO; system analysis; regulatory, energy accounting, commitment cost determination, or settlements.
- Exposure and experience with applied optimization principles and techniques, power system operations and market design.
- Experience with identification of data quality issues (accuracy, completeness, etc.) and creation of specific SQL queries to access large volumes for data analysis is required.
- Advanced Excel skills, SQL, and analytics software such as SAS, or R, is strongly preferred