VIAVI (NASDAQ: VIAV) has a 90+ year history of technical innovations that have evolved to keep pace and address our customer’s most pressing business issues. We make equipment, software, and systems that help to plan, deploy, certify, monitor, and optimize all kinds of networks - like those for mobile phones, service providers, large businesses and data centers. VIAVI is also a leader in high performance thin film optical coatings and engineered diffusers, providing light management solutions to anti-counterfeiting, consumer electronics, automotive, defense and instrumentation markets.
We are the people behind the products that help keep the world connected – at home, school, work, at play, and everywhere in between. VIAVI employees are fierce about supporting customer success and we welcome people who bring their best every day to the company - to question, to collaborate and to push for solutions that will delight our customers.
Executes, maintains, and evolves advanced manufacturing systems utilizing knowledge of quality assurance, metrology instrumentation, data analysis, continuous improvement, and systems engineering. Develops and evolves world-class systems to measure, record, and report product and material quality data, along with performance metrics to achieve manufacturing excellence. This position will involve hands-on work with exciting technology and data analytics including but not limited to, advanced color metrology, particle size analysis, microscopy, and elemental analysis. Extended duties may include supporting high-vacuum thin-film deposition processes, chemical deposition processes, unit operations, data analysis systems, as well as environment, health, and safety systems.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Production Quality Systems and Tools: Develops, evaluates, and improves manufacturing production systems and tools with a focus on metrology. Utilizes knowledge of quality control methods, production/test equipment capabilities, FMEAs, production methods, and quality standards
- Material & Supply-Chain Quality Control: Responsible for raw material incoming quality assurance, first article inspections, raw material qualifications, supplier quality management, and maintaining raw material product data & specifications
- Production Metrology Workcell Ownership: Responsible for workcell value-stream processes including provision of test & measurement methods, tools, problem solving, OCAPs, workcell safety, and continuous improvement activities
- Instrument Calibrations: Responsible for precision instrument management & calibrations in compliance with AS9100 quality management standards
- Cross-Functional Collaboration: Collaborates daily with members of manufacturing, engineering, metrology, R&D, and maintenance teams
- Continuous Improvement: Drives cost, quality, productivity, and safety performance through application of continuous improvement tools and methodologies
- Real-time manufacturing support: Responds to manufacturing floor process needs as requested; Includes occasional off-shift telephone and remote support of 24x7 manufacturing operation
- Multiple project and dynamic priority management: Effectively & efficiently leads and manages multiple projects simultaneously
- Training and skill-set development: Develops and implements process related training and development tools
- 5+ years production or manufacturing metrology experience in an engineering role
- MS or BS engineering degree in Industrial Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Computer Science, Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or other engineering discipline
- Previous experience with data analysis, statistics, and experimental design, along with creation and execution of test plans, methods, and technical reporting
- Strong software & computer competency including MS Office and advanced Excel skills
- US citizenship required to be eligible for ITAR security clearance and access to ITAR areas
- Position requires that candidate speaks, reads, and writes English
- Metrology instrumentation: Spectrophotometers, particle sizers, precision scales, etc.
- Quality systems & tools: AS9100, ISO9001, Lean, SPC, 6s, DFM, FMEA, 5S, 8D, QMS, NPI, etc.
- Transitioning processes from development to robust systematized production
- Manufacturing Execution Systems
- Improving manufacturing processes collaboratively with production staff and other departments Experience with thin-film, high-vacuum processes
- Design and development of hardware systems and tools
- Computer programming
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills, supported by a strong technical background
- Effectively manages competing priorities with a solutions-oriented, systemic approach
- Demonstrates analytical, detail-oriented problem-solving skills
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal reporting and presentation skills
- Able to influence, build consensus and support collaboratively across multiple teams and levels
- Self-motivated and organized; able to work autonomously and effectively
- Close vision, color vision, depth perception, and visual acuity necessary for inspecting, reading computer screens, projections, and documents
- Ability to lift and move up to 25 pounds
- Able to be medically cleared for occasional respirator use and comply with respirator facial hair policy
- Limited travel (<5%), but must be able to travel as required
If you have what it takes to push boundaries and seize opportunities, apply to join our team today.
VIAVI Solutions is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer – minorities/females/veterans/persons with disabilities.