Sr. Manufacturing Engineer - Injection Molding
The Sr. Injection Molding Engineer will be responsible for supporting the qualification of plastic injection molding tooling/processes for new products, improvement/enhancements of existing tooling and products, as well as coordinating with the appropriate teams to ensure the quality level of plastic molded products. This position will support the optimization of the process to facilitate ease of molding, lower part costs and opportunities for automation and enhanced assembly cell design. Contractor oversight including the qualification of products will be supported by this individual. The role will support North America molding operations both internal molding locations and subcontracted manufacturing for the Hand Tools and Storage business unit. Duties include:
- Work with mold manufacturers in the design of new tooling and modification of existing tooling in order to ensure process capabilities, improve part cost and quality
- Identify areas of improvement in cavitation, material usage, logistics, and operational effectiveness
- Understand supplier capabilities and execute supplier oversight activities, which may include phone assessments, surveys, quality reviews, and supplier corrective action reconciliation.
- Facilitate molding sub-contractor qualification and on-going tooling start-ups and validations
- Responsible for supporting transition and re-qualification of molds between internal molding operations and suppliers
- Work with the Quality department to improve quality measurements, processes, and performance
- Develops and maintains a good working relationship with both internal Stanley Black and Decker molding sites and external subcontractors
- Identify and implement cost savings projects to improve overall component costs
- Assist sites as needed with trouble shooting of process & tooling issues
- Perform capital equipment justification and assist in new equipment start-ups and validations
- Support design of injection molding site expansions and process automation opportunities
- Assist and facilitate assembly cell optimization
- Develop and share best practices and standard operating procedures across sites
- Establish and maintain a database of molds including: CAD files/drawings for molds, mold flow records, process settings for each mold, shot history, and other key data.
- Leverage Lean Manufacturing tools to drive continuous improvement and support the Stanley Production System improvement activities (e.g. SMED)
- Support equipment maintenance/reliability optimization, and Environmental, Health, and Safety projects as assigned.
- Model, foster and drive the Stanley values including Accountability, Respect, Integrity, Vision, Stretch, Boundaryless and Speed.
Education and Experience
- Knowledge of plastics processing, plastics assembly and work cell design, tooling design and maintenance.
- Project Management experience and understanding.
- Capital project management
- Excellent team and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated Lean Manufacturing application
- Quality Management system knowledge
- Hands on processing experience adjusting injection molding machines processes. Ability to set-up and run injection molding machines with no direction required.
- Working knowledge of problem-solving techniques (process map, risk assessment, cause and effect diagrams, Pareto analysis, etc.)
- Must be highly proficient in both written and oral communication skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Project, Solid Works, Pro E, and Minitab
- Experience with CAD/CAM software and tooling drawings
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to work in a dynamic environment.
What Youll Receive
- Bachelors Degree in Engineering or related technical field.
- Prefer Plastics Engineering
- 7-10years experience in an engineering position related to plastics processing and injection molding.
- Ability to travel 60% to support multiple locations
- Some international travel to collaborate with our Center of Excellence teams will be required
- PPAP experience preferred
- Automation technology experience preferred
- Experience with secondary operations (hot stamping, heat transfer, pad printing, in-mold labeling, insert molding, heat-staking or ultrasonic welding) for plastic parts preferred
- Injection molding part/mold design experience desirable
Youll receive a competitive salary and a great benefits plan:
How Youll Feel
- Medical, dental, life, vision, wellness program, disability, 401(k), Employee Stock Purchase Plan, paid time off and tuition reimbursement.
- Discounts on Stanley Black & Decker tools and other partner programs.
We want our company to be a place youll want to be - and stay. Being part of our team means youll get to:
- Grow: Be part of our global company with 20+ brands to grow and develop your skills along multiple career paths.
- Learn: Have access to a wealth of learning resources, including our Lean Academy, Coursera® and online university.
- Belong: Experience an awesome place to work, where we have mutual respect and a great appreciation for diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Give Back: Help us continue to make positive changes locally and globally through volunteerism, giving back and sustainable business practices.
Whats more, youll get that pride that comes from empowering makers, doers, protectors and everyday heroes all over the world. Were more than the #1 tools and storage company and #2 security solutions provider, with a leading presence in engineered fastening. Were visionaries. Industry 4.0 innovators. As successful as weve been in the past, we have so much further to go. Thats where you come in. Join us!#LI-KA1
All qualified applicants to Stanley Black & Decker are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veterans status or any other protected characteristic.Requisition Number
NashvilleFLSA (For US Only)
USA EEO Statement
All qualified applicants to Stanley Black & Decker are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veterans status or any other protected characteristic.Featured Category on SBD Careers