The Sr. Manager of Subcontracts will function as a segment level subject matter expert to drive improved subcontractor performance across all business units within Space and Intelligence Systems (SIS). The focus of this newly created position will be to provide leadership and technical expertise in support of a transformation of the subcontract management organization and processes within SIS. This transformation will include a broad assessment of the current approaches to subcontract management within SIS and is expected to result in recommendations to drive improved subcontractor performance in support of overall SIS business objectives. The Sr. Manager will report directly to the SIS VP of Operations for the duration of the transformational assessment and recommendation phases and will then assume responsibility for implementation of all improvement actions.
Provides advanced supply chain expertise in support of highly complex and technical products & services. Tasks will include creation of processes, instructions and/or implementation plans; data analysis; development and implementation of methods and processes; preparation of estimates for bids and proposals; development of Value-stream Mapping, Site organization configuration; etc. Emphasis is on leadership and coordination of such activities and encompasses the development and implementation of the overall strategic direction of Supply Chain & Operations as well as program execution. Work encompasses a wide range of sophisticated (cross-discipline) problem resolutions. Scope is focused on taking a leadership role in highly pressurized situations when there is a need to achieve results, on developing best practices, and on mentoring others to higher proficiency levels.
- Leads and directs such activities as design and evaluation of Supply Chain-related issues along with the development and implementation of related methods and processes.
- Leads cross-functional teams charged with investigating, analyzing, and solving commercial and/or technical problems of significant complexity.
- Prepares and provides commercial, financial, & technical data as required by the assigned tasks.
- May develop and implement Standard Operating Procedures by selecting appropriate test/ implementation methodology required by an assigned task.
- Leads and directs teams to determine the manufacturability and/or sourcing (Make/Buy) of new technologies, solutions or collaborations. May function as organization spokesperson on advanced projects or programs as the Supply Chain expert or authority.
- Communicates the methodology (including its application and benefits) and project status/results accurately and concisely to a wide audience, including customers and senior management, through conversations, presentations, and written documentation.
- Evaluates/analyzes Supply Chain processes and makes recommendations for changes necessary for economical and efficient Plan/Source/Make/Deliver execution.
- Develops appropriate methods and prepares written processes and procedures which instruct Supply Chain and/or necessary personnel in implementation and application of processes as required.
- Prepares estimates of labor and Subcontract Management / Purchasing requirements for necessary programs/projects/initiatives labor content by analyzing proposals, Statements-of-Work, User Requirements Specifications, or other related descriptions.
- Investigates problem areas and initiates corrective measures relating to the interpretation of commercial / technical data and the functioning of assigned personnel during prototype testing and implementation phases.
- Leads and directs the preparation of estimates for bids and proposals as needed for Make/Buy Board reviews.
- Analyzes plans and projects to conduct required functional audits, analyze proposals, and assesses related commercial/technical data to develop & execute Continuous Improvement Programs.
- Confers with suppliers to discuss physical and performance characteristics of proposed systems, software, components, and applications for specific Supply Chain applications.
- Develops and maintains plans, schedules and budgets for assigned projects. Prepares for periodic management reviews as required to give management visibility on the status and progress of assigned projects.
- Keeps abreast of the state-of-the-art by reading appropriate journals and publications.
- Performs special assignments as requested. May be required to perform assignments which are normally related to the work of higher or lower classifications.
- Maintains technical competence and state-of-the-art expertise in areas of Supply Chain / Operations specialization.
- May represents the organization as a primary Supply Chain contact on contracts, projects or products.
- If required, prepares theoretical studies of involved commercial, financial & technical subjects that find wide application to business problems or that are required where previous methods and techniques have not produced satisfactory results.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Finance, Operations/Supply Chain, Engineering or in a technical area of science and research, with 10+ years of work experience, or Master’s Degree in Business, Finance, Operations/Supply Chain, Engineering or in a technical area of science and research, with 8+ years of work experience
- Leadership experience with a minimum of 8years in the identification and development of talent.
Preferred Additional Skills
- Direct experience in subcontracts management in an aerospace and defense environment.
- Demonstrated experience in leading transformational improvement projects – preferably using DMAIC methodologies.
- Able to lead and manage in a highly matrixed organization which will include direct reports & virtual teams.
- Advanced knowledge base of supervisory skills, including an understanding of the manager’s role in a Government and Commercial Subcontracts Managements’ highly regulated operating environment.
- Supply chain background with experience in procurement, strategic sourcing, sub-contract management and planning.
- Ability to demonstrate the Supply Chain & Company’s core ethical values of high accountability, appropriate risk mitigation/management, respect, responsibility, honesty, integrity, quality, good citizenship, fairness and accountability in daily work and activities.
- Ability to recognized expert and authority in the application of the standards, principles, theories, and practices within their Supply Chain-related field(s) as they apply to products and processes. Develops, champions, and leads innovation in Supply Chain, Operations, and general business partnerships. Considered one of the ultimate internal resources for support or direction.
- Ability to communicate the commercial, technical, and financial initiatives (including the application and benefits) and project status/results accurately and concisely to a wide audience to include customers and senior management through conversations, presentations, and written documentation.
- Full understanding of business competencies, business unit operations, financial objectives, and support the business initiatives and objectives.
- Ability to create & oversee the Performance Plan as well as an Employee Development Plan with each employee and update quarterly.
- Ability to document expectations/commitments and accomplishments once per quarter with ongoing updates during monthly one-on-ones to their supervisor.
- Thorough knowledge/understanding of the policies and procedures which govern the execution of work across all of Supply Chain. Ability to actively contribute to the continuous improvement of those policies and procedures in a way that ensures quality and improves effectiveness.
- Ability to understand and adhere to all legal requirements with respect to the employer/employee relationship.
- Ability to create an environment in which we receive strongly positive employee responses (on average) to the following statements: I know what is expected of me at work; At work, my opinions seem to count; In the last six months, I have talked with someone about my progress; This last year, I have had opportunities at work to learn and grow.
- Aerospace and defense experience