This position is to lead the contract development and implementation element of the marketing strategy in conjunction with the marketing team. Each brand and market segment requires a clear contracts and pricing strategy that reflects the brands position in the market place. The brand pricing strategy for all assigned channels must be developed and communicated to our channel sales forces and customers This position oversees the development and implementation of complex customer contracts (~$2B) for all assigned channels and oversees the contracting process. The position is responsible for ensuring that Abbott remains in compliance with “government best price” clauses and that the impact to existing business in these sales channels is both understood and communicated. The position must help establish policies and standards to ensure that ABBOTT is knowledgeable and compliant with government pricing laws and regulations (price fixing, bid rigging, antitrust, etc). Implementation and maintenance of these policies is an important function of this position. This position is responsible for providing key information into the decision support systems (DSS) to enable the appropriate Sales and Marketing teams manage their business. This position is expected to actively provide input into the development of marketing programs and sales targeting strategies based on and understanding of ABBOTT’s goals as well as payer economics and reimbursement rules. Knowledge of reimbursement and educating management is an important responsibility of this position. Reimbursement is complex as it encompasses Medicare, Medicaid (50 states with DoD, V.A. and Third Party Payers. The inter relationship between the payers is extremely important to understand. Knowledge of contract law and the ability to interact with legal staff to dialogue on key contract issues is important. Developing the optimal ABBOTT business response to complex business arrangements, where cross-channel sales/marketing distribution components are comprised in a single business opportunity by performing analysis of reimbursement, demand drivers, current and future share and competitor expense. • Ensuring that ABBOTT remains in compliance with "government best price" clauses and that the impact to existing business is well understood and communicated. • Implement
- Develop the overall pricing strategy with the General Manager, for all assigned Sales Channels and for all major customers and products
- Lead the analytical support in establishing new product pricing including approval of new product pricing for all assigned Sales channels.
- Translate the Sales Channel pricing strategy and contract process into guidelines that can be understood by sales force and offer training when necessary.
- Oversee the contract development process for all assigned Sales Channels, including analytical support and making pricing decisions for contracts representing over $2B in annual sales.
- Develop and maintain legal approved contract templates and administer the process for ensuring that all changes to the templates are approved by legal.
- Develop and maintain analytical models enabling objective review, approval and ongoing reporting of contract performance.
- Provide for cross-functional teamwork for contract development and implementation. Contract Negotiation:
- Support all assigned sales organizations when required in direct contract negotiations for large/complex national and regional opportunities.
- Maintain an environment that enables managing ongoing customer relationships regarding contract development by understanding and identifying customer needs and requirements. Working collaboratively to educate and learn from customers, utilizing customer knowledge to resolve issues, and recommending new approaches to meet customer needs.
- Lead and develop the analytics to develop presentation materials for customer business review meetings and proposals.
- Developing and maintain decision support systems that collect and synthesize sales data into knowledge that drives management decisions including: resource allocations, opportunity identification, performance against expectations, and sales incentives.
- Responsible for all assigned Sales Channels reporting requirements.
- Establishes policies and standards to ensure compliance with government regulations including coordinating efforts with internal and external legal counsel and other third parties.
- Track, analyze, and report on relevant legislation policies, which affect diabetes product utilization.
- Educate and inform staff of pertinent issues related to reimbursement and government relations.
- Ensuring appropriate system accesses in conjunction with IT and Compliance Finance team. Responsible for compliance with applicable Corporate and Divisional Policies and performing other duties as assigned by management
Minimum Education & Experience
- B.A. / B.S. required, Master’s degree preferred.
- Total combined minimum experience of eight (8) years
- General Business Management (finance, materials, customer services, etc.) - 3 years
- Pricing/Contracting Manager or Marketing Product Manager - 3 years
- Sales experience - 2 years Knowledge of US health care delivery systems, health and human services, health care economics, reimbursement, coverage issues and billing practices.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, knowledge of OIG Guidance, Pharma Code, Government Best Price, and Anti-Trust laws.
- Experience in managing operations directly impacted by Quality Systems and high-level FDA scrutiny.
- Knowledge of all assigned Sales Channels (which may include one or more of the following (Managed Care, DME – Mail Order, Government, Hospital Trade/Retail and Wholesale markets).
- Experience in resource allocation and negotiation.
- Knowledge of regulations and standards affecting IVDs and Medical Devices would be ideal.