Representing the forefront of modern development, its rapidly growing customer base of more than 600 organizations – including SpaceX, NASA, Thales and Caterpillar – use Jama Software to streamline processes and bring complex product to market. Through Predictive Product Development, Jama equips its customers to make the most of their revenue potential and achieve ongoing competitive advantages.
We are looking for a Senior Manager of Software Engineering to lead a talented team of developers in building new features and functionality, enhancing existing workflows and maintaining Jama’s product development platform.
The right candidate will be an intelligent, results-oriented, customer-focussed, and passionate technology leader willing to question the status-quo and inspire engineers to execute against an aggressive technology roadmap.
You will be someone who:
Loves to solve complex technical problems. You like seemingly impossible challenges as part of your day-to-day work. Rather than be intimidated or frustrated, you enjoy building and leveraging collaborative relationships to develop creative solutions and approaches that get the breakthroughs required for our customers.
Effectively leads groups of engineers. You know how to attract and hire quality people, onboard and develop them, establish clear, challenging goals that motivate your team, and address resource issues and roadblocks in a proactive and positive way. You have proven your ability to take a group of smart engineers and build them into an excellent team that delivers consistent and repeatable results.
Is self-motivated, and a true mentor and coach. You know how to ask the right questions of your engineers to ensure final solutions are elegant, scalable, sustainable and exciting. You will understand and have experience with agile product development and lean methodologies, applying them in a way that drives continuous improvement throughout the software development process.
Is passionate about user experience. You know that creating a great user experience is key to attracting and retaining customers. You champion usability, UI consistency, accessibility and building strong partnerships between engineering and UX teams.
Lead the Engineering Team: Jama expects our leaders to inspire their teams to achieve outstanding results by providing ongoing feedback and setting clear expectations on goals, projects and deliverables. The Engineering Manager will be a frontline leader to their team and will partner with teams across the company to ensure we are delivering a world-class user experience for our customers.
- Provide leadership, mentorship and technical expertise to guide and build the full-stack software development expertise throughout engineering as well as the development of individual team members.
- Execute against a product roadmap by ensuring on-time and on-budget platform deliveries with high quality.
- Participate in the development of a technical roadmap that drives innovation and continues to evolve the Jama platform.
- Provide clear status of progress to engineering leadership and across Jama to enhance information sharing and transparency
- Develop the engineering team, adding new full-stack engineer team members that are a good team fit, ensuring new team members are on-boarded and in a position to contribute toward engineering and broader Jama objectives.
- Bring out the best in your engineers by coaching, mentoring, supporting and nurturing their career growth.
- Understand and champion engineering initiatives to continually evolve Jama’s architecture and technologies to pave the way for the product roadmap and future innovation.
Engage as Active Member of Engineering Leadership Team: As a critical member of our Engineering leadership team you will play an critical role in debating ideas and plans as well as developing clear strategic and near-term goals for the group. You will actively collaborate with peers to ensure interdependencies are analyzed and effectively addressed as part of the software development process. You will be required to quickly switch between tactical day-to-day execution and strategic planning and decision-making on a frequent basis and to communicate trade-offs.
Partner with UX and Product teams to drive Jama’s roadmap: You will work withproduct managers, UX designers and your team to prioritize, plan and schedule work. You will ensure that your team balances paying down technical debt and evolving the architecture with delivering world class features and enhancements.
Requirements / Ideal Candidate
- 5+ years of experience leading and mentoring a team of Software Engineers.
- 10+ years of overall software development experience which ideally includes front end or full stack web application development
- Strong experience in frontend development and familiarity with one or more UI frameworks and libraries: React, AngularJS, Node, etc.
- Passionate, driven, intelligent, team-oriented and hard-working with abilities not only ideal for building our product, but abilities to improve those around you.
- Has experience successfully working with legacy code and making tradeoffs for paying down debt while delivering against release targets.
- Value team excellence over individual productivity
- Have a passion for quality and writing clean, solid, readable code that scales and performs well
- Demonstrates experience leading complex technology projects
- Participate in and promote architectural initiatives, balancing long-term velocity with short-term customer needs (Experience as Solution or Technical architect a plus)
- Independent time management skills
- Experience working in agile teams (Scaled agile framework knowledge a plus.)
- Experience working with a SaaS architecture product as well as On-premise
- Strong interpersonal skills, written and verbal communication
- Willing to participate in an on-call rotation
- Previous experience in a start-up is a plus
- BS Degree in Computer Science or related field
- Focus and Act: Frame the challenge, figure out what’s most important, set clear goals and define success, act with urgency.
- Innovate relentlessly: Be curious and bold. Iterate, hypothesize and test. Don’t stay comfortable. Reward success and failure.
- Lead tenaciously: Inspire and empower, supply energy but also confidence. Trust your decisions and stick to them.
- Care about the Customer: Know your customer, work to understand their needs.
- Be great to work with: Be authentically you. Assume others have good intent. Don’t take yourself too seriously.
Benefits and Other:
If we’ve intrigued you and you are the right candidate for the role, we will offer:
- A chance to contribute to a company developing a compelling, category defining product
- Challenging and fun work with a chance to make distinct, company-shaping tangible contributions
- An energized and ambitious team of people on a mission
- Competitive cash and equitycompensation
- Comprehensive and affordable medical, dental and vision plans as well as pre-tax savings accounts and a generous 401(k) employer match
- Time-off and leave programs designed to meet critical needs for rejuvenation and, when needed, extra support to cope with life events
- Flexible, creative workplace that includes a modern, open plan office with ample creative workspaces, monthly lunches and bagel days, a stocked kitchen and many ad hoc fun events that ensure we both work hard and play hard at Jama.