The Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center is actively seeking a Senior Manager. The Senior Manager of the Biospecimen Management Shared Resource (BMSR) will work in conjunction with the Core's Medical Director and Scientific Director to establish and maintain the biospecimen research needs of the members of the Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center (SCCC). The BMSR Senior Manager will be a point of contact for SCCC PI's looking to utilize any biospecimen related services on campus, and will provide consultation on the design of biospecimen related projects. The BMSR Senior Manager will oversee the entire Shared Resource and its personnel, ensuring all service lines are well defined, efficient, and meet the biospecimen related needs of SCCC members. This individual will be responsible for establishing and maintaining collaborative relationships between the BMSR and other related Shared Resources, CRS, CTSI, and the Pathology Department. Additionally, the Senior Manager will work with the various Departments at the UM Miller School of Medicine to acquire tumor specimens and related information for prospective processing and banking.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Define New Biospecimen Management Shared Resource Services.
- Preview IRB applications of Non-Therapeutic Trials Divisions before submission to the IRB and work with the PIs to ensure feasibility and logistical issues are addressed.
- Preview IRB applications of preclinical studies before submission to the IRB and work with the PIs to ensure feasibility and logistical issues are addressed.
- Attend Protocol Feasibility Committee meetings and provide input regarding feasibility.
- If necessary, troubleshoot Non-Therapeutic Trial and preclinical protocol post-IRB approval.
- Make presentations to divisions, departments and disease site groups to educate PIs about the available resources and how to access them.
- Build a database for FFPE blocks over 10 years old, organize, marker and manage this resource.
- Identify redundancies among, CRS, CTSI, other shared resources, and Pathology services, and develop cost –saving measures.
- Work with PI to ensure the biospecimen use during the research projects are compliant with local, state and federal laws and regulations.
- Establish a working relationship with Pathology Department Services.
- Build agreements with Pathology Department for access to Pathological services to be integrated into the BMSR's service lines (including financial and effort-based agreements).
- Work with the Departments of Pathology and Surgery to acquire tumor specimens and related information for prospective processing and banking.
- Design and negotiate contracts for Pathology services with outside vendors.
- Supervise the daily operation of the Biospecimen Non-Therapeutic Trials Division.
- Responsible for prioritization and oversight of the biospecimen related non- therapeutic trials managed through the BMSR. This will include IRB and PRMC preparation, and supervision of the Clinical Coordinators and Research Nurse.
- Direct supervision of BMSR Division managers.
- Core Management plan, SOPs, Annual Budget oversight.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in related field required.
- Minimum 4 years of related experience required. Related experience in Molecular Biology techniques (DNA, RNA, Protein extraction, appropriate handling of human tissues biological fluids) is a plus.
- Experience managing staff is strongly desired.
- Computer skills and experience with database required.
- Excellent English skills (both verbal and written) required.